Weather in New York

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
We have been EXTREMELY warm for here.
Weather man announced this morning we normally have had 60 inches of snow by now, but we've had 10" - that's over 4' less than normal!! :shock:
By the way, average snow fall for the winter is 120" Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. Surely we don't get 1/2 of our snowfall by end of Dec??? January & February are usually our heavy months. Maybe I'm wrong about the average for the winter - maybe it's 160"
I keep wondering when we are going to PAY for this. Of course, the city folks love this weather. Not me!! Mud getting real OLD around here. HATE THE MUD!
Muddy Christmas - yuk!

25 degrees and sunny here right after close to 3" rain last week. I'm to stove up for wet winters but we sure need one this year. I'll be glad to invest in Ibuprophen and Ben-Gay in exchange for good ground water in the spring.Z

It sure has been a strange weather year, thats for sure Jeanne. What with the floods and very poor hay making days. But if we had normal temps this late fall and early winter we probably would already had our 120 inches of snow. The moisture was sure there. If it turns cold and the wind blows, as warm as the lakes are we will pay big time!

When we moved from Wisconsin to Washington in the 40's people kept asking my day why we were moving there. He's standard response was "You don;t have to shovel rain"

dun

I am liking this weather. Pour some concrete next year and don't complain. Think about the savings in hay when the weather is this much warmer.

Concrete and roofs. That is what I have to do to battle the mud. At the rate I am going I figure I will have the entire place paved with a roof over it in about 15 more years.
When you step off the sidewalk at my place you better have rubber boats on and they better have 16 inch tops. Ain't mud fun?
Dave

I'm with you Jeanne. I would like to have our normal temps so the ground will froze - no more mud & 12 inch tractor ruts. I'm also worrying about paying for the warm temps later on in the new year. I'm hoping it won't be in April when the calves are being born. I'll take snow over rain any day. Happy New Year. :)

Dave":1tdb7pa0 said:
Concrete and roofs. That is what I have to do to battle the mud. At the rate I am going I figure I will have the entire place paved with a roof over it in about 15 more years.
When you step off the sidewalk at my place you better have rubber boats on and they better have 16 inch tops. Ain't mud fun?
Dave

It beats the confound cathair out of dust any day.Z

All that snow will eventually turn to mud anyway. So what's the difference when you have to face it.

dun

dun":1ys4x0ce said:
All that snow will eventually turn to mud anyway. So what's the difference when you have to face it.

dun

Mud, Snow. Fire, Ice.

Winter is just not fun. I'm already ready to see green again.

My herd is slogging through mud. Days where it doesn't rain, it is cloudy. And warm. 35 F at night and 55 in the day. If you are wet it = about 15 F. Plentiful hay is going fast. I'm keeping them fed to negate the stress.

Flood this past summer weren't you?
Now a winter drought?
I know what you mean, the weather is screwed up like everything else it seems anymore, our pastures grew a fair amount in the first three weeks of December, unheard of around here.

NO! we're not having a winter drought - lots of rain. Like RKM said, if it WAS cold with all this moisture, we wouldn't be able to find our barns!!!
Dun, if the ground would freeze - like our winters USED to be - then get all that snow, the mud isn't so bad in the spring. Yes, there's spring mud - lots - but having mud from fall THRU winter & spring is the pits!!! If groung doesn't get frozen DEEP, before we get lasting snow, it never freezes except where you plow or pack down the snow because the snow insulates the ground and it NEVER freezes. So if you get brave & drive somewhere with the tractor (2 wheel) you haven't been driving & packing - you may be in real DEEP trouble.
It's snowing this morning, expecting about 5 inches, but going up to 45 next 4 days.
And 35-40 degrees with wet cattle is harder on them than 10-20 degrees - without wind factor in either case.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":16b57own said:
NO! we're not having a winter drought - lots of rain. Like RKM said, if it WAS cold with all this moisture, we wouldn't be able to find our barns!!!
Dun, if the ground would freeze - like our winters USED to be - then get all that snow, the mud isn't so bad in the spring. Yes, there's spring mud - lots - but having mud from fall THRU winter & spring is the pits!!! If groung doesn't get frozen DEEP, before we get lasting snow, it never freezes except where you plow or pack down the snow because the snow insulates the ground and it NEVER freezes. So if you get brave & drive somewhere with the tractor (2 wheel) you haven't been driving & packing - you may be in real DEEP trouble.
It's snowing this morning, expecting about 5 inches, but going up to 45 next 4 days.
And 35-40 degrees with wet cattle is harder on them than 10-20 degrees - without wind factor in either case.

It's still muddy here from the 3 inches of rain, 2 inches of ice and the little snow we got on top of that. And it's been thawed for a couple of weeks. Now the WLs are calling for a lot of heavy rain friday thu sunday. I guess ma nature is going to try to make up for the 12 inches of we're behind for the past couple of motnsh all at one time.

Well we had another one roll through here yesterday. Gave us a bunch more rain that we didn't need. Last seen it was headed east so brace yourself here comes another rain storm.
Last night Seattle news said that since October 1 they have had 180% of the normal rainfall. And it didn't rain that much in October.

Yea, weather up here has been really whacky for several months now.
Was hard to get late hay cuttings cause of all the rain in august and september and now the ground won't freeze up so everything is buried in mud.
Nother week of 40 degree temps so it will be at least mid january before anything can freeze and the lakes are real close to record warm temperatures......we are gonna get buried with lake effect snow once the cold canadian air finally arrives.

I'm just tired of the mud.

We just got back from visiting family in Vermont. They had a stretch of cold weather for few days and it was SOOOO pleasant taking the dogs for a walk. Ground frozen, snow covered (about 6 inches) NO MUD!!! soooo nice!! Now we're home & its soooo muddy!! yuk.

To all those in NY hello I spent two years at Ft. Drum. I loved it there even during the -54F winters. I have very good friends in Syracuse, Copenhagen and Watertown area. Many were dairy farmers. They loved it when I came out and shot the ground hogs. If you need someone to come and do it for ya let me know. I live in Virginia right now but I'm always up to a hunting trip, visit friends and make new ones.

hkj - Hi - well, we've never seen -54 weather (thank goodness!) but it normally is a whole lot colder than what we're having.
Was 60 degrees on Sat. Did chores in just a shirt/pants (was going to just say a shirt - but decided you guys would have waaayy too much fun with that :p )
Anyway, super warm - grass is even growing, at least where it's not knee deep soup. We had about 2 inches of rain :shock: - and I thought it WAS muddy!!!
Hubby sprayed Roundup on his Dad's garden yesterday :shock:

Just think of all the mosquitoes that will hatch and come out of the woodwork in the spring. At least for us, a mild winter equates to a bunch of bugs.

ffamom":1n1veoj3 said:
Just think of all the mosquitoes hatch will come out of the woodwork in the spring. At least for us, a mild winter equates to a bunch of bugs.

Yup! With last winter being a non-winter, and this winter looking to be about the same, I'm waiting for the worst. We still have flies...stinkin', lousy flies. I think their life span is getting longer...I think I'm recognizing the same ones...over, and over, and over... :mad:

Alice