weather and hay

Help Support CattleToday:

To me thats not a bad problem to have. Its better than the alternative. We wont be able to get into our big pastures, until we get some wind and sunshine, which I am sure will come soon.
As long as we are getting moisture, I am happy about it, and so are my cows.

hurleyjd":1yhb0vbm said:
It has been a challenge to get three days in a row with out rain to make hay.

No rain in 4 weeks and my stuff is getting brown id rather have the problem you have this is the pasture/hayfield i just baled on last week

there was 6 days of good baling weather last week.then it came that good rain sun nite.i know this because last week a friend was going to lay 300acs down and bale it.and as far as i know he got it done.

hurleyjd":2cgg1pr5 said:
Same thing here in Middle TN! I cant even get the rolls out that we baled last week! I sure would like to finish the first cutting this year.

There is one young guy in my area cuts one day rolls while still green and stuffs in in a long white plastic tube. He has a half dozen Mexicans working to stay ahead

TN Cattle Man":dhusptjj said:
hurleyjd":dhusptjj said:
Same thing here in Middle TN! I cant even get the rolls out that we baled last week! I sure would like to finish the first cutting this year.
Middle tn must be getting the rains we have been missing. My area in east TN is about 6 inches behind for the year. A lot of folks here are getting between a half and a third of what fields usually yield. Some fields are so short and thin it can be mowed one day and baled the next. Praying for some rain here to help pastures and any potential second cutting.

We've had a single 3 day stretch in the last 30 without rain. All the rest of the time, it has averaged every other or every day--almost always around3-4pm and rolling thunderstorms.
1" and 30mph winds/lightning day before yesterday.
.8" and hail yesterday.

hurleyjd":3qbutebr said:

Same here. I'm trying not to complain, though. I'd still rather have this than to be dry as a chip.

Cut,raked,baled,hauled and wrapped about 7acres today. 2nd cutting only made 15 rolls.About 6 hrs start to finish with a Fathers Day picnic at the edge of the field thrown in for good measure.

I think I had about 45 more minutes to finish. A rain shower came over and it rained like a bovine urinating on a horizontal plane for about thirty minutes. Well there will be a tomorrow.

Ya know too much rain is much better than too little. I've done 5 haying jobs so far. The yields are about 50-60% of normal. We have had rains here in SE TX but not enough. I've told myself I will never complain about rain again after the last 5 years. :D

dcarp":2z4mu9q0 said:
Ya know too much rain is much better than too little. I've done 5 haying jobs so far. The yields are about 50-60% of normal. We have had rains here in SE TX but not enough. I've told myself I will never complain about rain again after the last 5 years. :D

I rolled a little better than that, but not over 65% of last three year average anywhere. Last year was a great year here. It would be real hard to match it.
I agree on the rain complaints. I've seen it both ways and I'll take the moisture anytime over the alternative.

fitz

weve got the tractors fueled up and ready.the baler and rake are hooked up and ready.waiting on the guy to tell us when he is going to start cutting.

Latest posts