WEATHER 40 degrees above normal!

Help Support CattleToday:

BettyLandercasper

Reaction score
Wondering if people are changing anything they normally do --- should I spread fertilizer? (Normal time is late April early May)
Grass is greening up, sure wish I was calving. Don't even start for a few weeks.

BettyLandercasper":24oq3e5s said:
Wondering if people are changing anything they normally do --- should I spread fertilizer? (Normal time is late April early May) Grass is greening up, sure wish I was calving. Don't even start for a few weeks.

Similar questions here in Minnesota. Planted a little garden on St. Paddy' day for therapy.

An old French trick is to apply N a couple weeks before green up to extend the pasture season. They did not have thermometers so they went by the size of tree leaf buds, and our trees are budding now...

i'm hoping for no abortions on fall breds - 80 degrees, no shade, and full winter coats.

We must have it good. Only 30 degrees above normal here, day AND night

Not normal Minnesota, that's for sure. I think I'll see if the elevator has time to fertilize some pastures if they can do it before rain.

BettyLandercasper":1n49b7ys said:
Not normal Minnesota, that's for sure. I think I'll see if the elevator has time to fertilize some pastures if they can do it before rain.

Best to put on a little now, not too much as if the weather changes it will be wasted. Top up latter on.

With crops like winter wheat that are ahead, best to delay as extra nitrogen early will lead to flat crops.

I never put much N on (25 to 40#) to kick start things. I like to put this on as soon as I can drive on sod so we are only about 3 wks early.

Our fertilizer plant opens this week...

Well, had my first calf and it's now 10 or 20 degrees below normal, had a hard frost last night and this weekend it is supposed to start raining.
That's about par for the course!

It's been the best winter and spring that I can remember. High in the 70s low in the 60s and we are 2" above avg on rain. Some folks can't enjoy it for talking about how hot it is going to get.
I planted half acre of sweet corn the first Saturday of march last year and got a shower six weeks later. No corn. Did the same thing this year and it's knee high now.

Oh I'm not complainin got more done this spring than ever . things are goin greatI'm way ahead this year , just keep thinkin mother nature gonna deal me a joker. I should just count my blessings and role with it . :cowboy:

We sure aren't 40 degrees above normal here. It has been dropping to 40 degrees or lower at night and we normally aren't at 0. In fact it is darn rare to hit 0. I wish it would warm up to normal.

gonzo":3ned5fvq said:
Oh I'm not complainin got more done this spring than ever . things are goin greatI'm way ahead this year , just keep thinkin mother nature gonna deal me a joker. I should just count my blessings and role with it . :cowboy:

Amen brother :nod:

Latest posts