Wearing on Mom

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
My fall calves were born in a 4 week window. They are coming up on 4 months old.

I am starting to see some of the Dams taking a beating during nursing. These calves probably average right at 400 pounds. By March, these girls would welcome some relief.

Bright Raven":lkynw3f8 said:
My fall calves were born in a 4 week window. They are coming up on 4 months old.

I am starting to see some of the Dams taking a beating during nursing. These calves probably average right at 400 pounds. By March, these girls would welcome some relief.

I'm surprised you're not out there with a giant bottle fighting for position.

Supa Dexta":14b87q7g said:
https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1343742828757_84365.png

I apologize. In answer to the meme, "no one". Consider it me talking to myself.

I was out there this morning and these calves are big and vigorous. It crossed my mind that I need to wean early.

In response to the penguin- I would be afraid they might maul me. These guys take bottle time serious.

Raven, With the care you give your cattle, I would surely hope your calves could stay on them longer than 4 months. Only time I look at weaning that early is to pull some to start halter breaking for show or if they are from first heifers that are struggling to keep up. B&G

Black and Good":2bbjsftr said:
Raven, With the care you give your cattle, I would surely hope your calves could stay on them longer than 4 months. Only time I look at weaning that early is to pull some to start halter breaking for show or if they are from first heifers that are struggling to keep up. B&G

I was thinking this year of pulling them off in March at about 6 months. I usually don't wean until late April or 1st May.

Do you start halter breaking after weaning? I cannot wait that long. They get to big for me to rodeo.

Bright Raven":1j59yx5l said:
Black and Good":1j59yx5l said:

I was thinking this year of pulling them off in March at about 6 months. I usually don't wean until late April or 1st May

6 month old calves.... March in Kentucky..... sounds like a prescription for success to me. Throw some oats at them to get the bunk trained and some soft hay and the grass will be in before you know it. I'm thinking about weaning early but it will be 15 degrees out if I do.

I wean my Falls in March also. I like to get a halter on them around 4 months of age, if possible.
Our spring group, we pull our 4 oldest heifer calves into the barn during the day & out with dam all night for about 2 weeks and we get them "green broke". Every two weeks we bring in next 4. That way, as a cow, if we need to "work" on them, they know what a halter is & it makes life a lot easier. Like clipping them if they are going in a sale. Or, they turn out to be our top end & end up in the show ring.

Bright Raven":1awn96a5 said:
Black and Good":1awn96a5 said:

I was thinking this year of pulling them off in March at about 6 months. I usually don't wean until late April or 1st May.

Do you start halter breaking after weaning? I cannot wait that long. They get to big for me to rodeo.

I like them to be 6 months old also if possible. Last year me and some friends halter broke four after weaning them at 6 months. But if they are that age you have to have some help with the rodeo. B&G

I don't have much problem with halterbreaking them even when they're older/bigger.. that's what posts are for.. Mine are all docile anyhow, so it's just a matter of getting them used to the halter.. they wear it for a week, then they get tied up a little, then they get led to some place they like.. a few times and they figure it out.