Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

I need to know the signs. I creep feed them, put a fence between them, and then I send the mamas for a half mile to mile walk to some tall grass. After a few days I cut back on the calves feed. The mommas take about 36 hours to get over it. The calves take a week to get over it most of the time.

I have tried almost everything. I recorded them the night before we split them and played it for them after the mommas left, I tried playing every type of music but pop and rap in there field, one year I put some lights shining through there field for a night, I have tried a bunch of other stuff to but so far nothing has worked to keep there cries down at night.

I would like to know the signs if you don't mind to let them out of the bag.

mobgrazer":2wwd2vp9 said:
I need to know the signs. I creep feed them, put a fence between them, and then I send the mamas for a half mile to mile walk to some tall grass. After a few days I cut back on the calves feed. The mommas take about 36 hours to get over it. The calves take a week to get over it most of the time.

I have tried almost everything. I recorded them the night before we split them and played it for them after the mommas left, I tried playing every type of music but pop and rap in there field, one year I put some lights shining through there field for a night, I have tried a bunch of other stuff to but so far nothing has worked to keep there cries down at night.

I would like to know the signs if you don't mind to let them out of the bag.

Wean in a waning moon ( from Full Moon to New Moon). Signs: Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius or Pisces.

I have done it both ways and don't think fenceline weaning is much help. I think it makes them bawl more as they can see each other. It gets a lot quieter faster when the cows are a quarter mile away and out of sight.

Below is what I have noticed on my farm…

The fence works best if you do it mid after noon and move the moms off in the morning. If the calves over stress then you will only make it worse and might as well not even try. The over night with the fence will help calm them down. But it's all about not over stressing the calves. The mamas are the ones we send walking or running depending how they fight the dogs. Everyone is used to getting moved around a lot at any time of the day or night.
I want to try to gas all the calves one time so there out of it when the moms are moved and see how that works. Well a big pill of velum word work but $$$.

I should have known it was going to have something to do with the moon and stuff.