Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I am weaning my fall calves. They range in age from 5 months old to 6 months old. Some are already sold and I am getting them ready for leaving here.

I separated them early Friday morning so today is day 2 and the bawling has about stopped. It has been easy on the calves. They are broke to feed and hay.

I am going to start clipping today. The vet is coming Thursday to give calfhood brucellosis shots and castrating.

Good deal. Your calves probably have not needed mom for at least a month with the feed they get. And, they are used to "leaving mom" to go off & eat by themselves.
We weaned ours a few weeks ago. Put halters on 3 heifers & a bull calf to start training. 1 of the heifers was sold when she was 3 weeks old. Anxious to get her "gone". Hate to hang onto one that is sold - just in case something might happen. And if there was a freak accident or problem, guess which one it would happen to????
Buyer won't be able to come until after we get back from Kauai - can't wait!!! (for the trip)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":zm6e78se said:
Good deal. Your calves probably have not needed mom for at least a month with the feed they get. And, they are used to "leaving mom" to go off & eat by themselves.
We weaned ours a few weeks ago. Put halters on 3 heifers & a bull calf to start training. 1 of the heifers was sold when she was 3 weeks old. Anxious to get her "gone". Hate to hang onto one that is sold - just in case something might happen. And if there was a freak accident or problem, guess which one it would happen to????
Buyer won't be able to come until after we get back from Kauai - can't wait!!! (for the trip)

Thanks.

My cows are ready for a break from nursing calves. The grass is not that abundant so getting the calves off will get them over the hump until grass comes on. Then, they will get too fat.

I been through this routine enough times now to know my cows. I have big calves (average 87 pounds) and my cows are over conditioned but since they are Simmentals (best breed of cow known to man), they can spit 100 pounders out without as much as a low toned moo!

Bright Raven":3upt8xgg said:
I am weaning my fall calves. They range in age from 5 months old to 6 months old. Some are already sold and I am getting them ready for leaving here.

I separated them early Friday morning so today is day 2 and the bawling has about stopped. It has been easy on the calves. They are broke to feed and hay.

I am going to start clipping today. The vet is coming Thursday to give calfhood brucellosis shots and castrating.

You need a need a pocket knife Raven.
I'll send you one....

callmefence":2w7430bk said:
Bright Raven":2w7430bk said:

You need a need a pocket knife Raven.
I'll send you one....

Don't forget the iodine. :nod:

Latest posts