Weaning wts.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm looking to buy a new bull for the first time. I keep seeing the weaning weight on the EPD's and there seems to be a big gap in the weights. Some are in the 500's others are in the 800's. Is there a set time period? I've seen on some breeders list a 205 day and a 225 day wt. Is this their weaning weight? By the way the bulls are charolais if that makes a difference.

[email protected]

205 days is the traditional weaning age, weaning weights are adjusted to that time. The bulls actual weaning weight is not always a good measure of his capabilities when it comes to siring WW or YW. That said: if a bull is creep fed as a calf his own WW will be higher then one that was just on pasture and momma. The EPD WW/YW if it has achieved any accuracy at all is based on multiple herds and gives you a better feel of his capabilities as a sire. I would think that a charolais bull without creep should wean in the mid 700 to low/mid 800's. We like to think that a cows will wean half her body weight at 205 days. Heifers calves will be lighter ET calves will be heavier at birth but should balance out by 205 days. A lot of that too depends on the dam, if she is a sorry milker the calf won't wean as heavy but may be a real bruiser by yearling time.

dunmovin farms

> I'm looking to buy a new bull for
> the first time. I keep seeing the
> weaning weight on the EPD's and
> there seems to be a big gap in the
> weights. Some are in the 500's
> others are in the 800's. Is there
> a set time period? I've seen on
> some breeders list a 205 day and a
> 225 day wt. Is this their weaning
> weight? By the way the bulls are
> charolais if that makes a
> difference.

Since actual weaning age can vary from ranch to ranch, most breed associations require that a calf be weighed within a "window" of 205 days. They then adjust that weight to a 205 day adjusted weaning weight. I know of one Angus breeder who doesn't actually wean calves until they're about 9 months old; but he weighs them within the 205 day window. Several university studies have shown EPDs are much more reliable (8 or 9 times more reliable) in predicting what sort of calves a bull will sire than his own weaning and yearling weights. His own weights can be influenced either way with a creep feeder or lack of grass. Good luck...

I'm looking to buy a new bull for
> the first time. I keep seeing the
> weaning weight on the EPD's and
> there seems to be a big gap in the
> weights. Some are in the 500's
> others are in the 800's. Is there
> a set time period? I've seen on
> some breeders list a 205 day and a
> 225 day wt. Is this their weaning
> weight? By the way the bulls are
> charolais if that makes a
> difference.

i have found weaning weight to be very innacurate, dont rely on any averages unless the percentage of accuracy is over 80%

You owe yourself this much, buy from people who raise cattle similar to how you do. Buy from good people, they won't always have the champions or test winners.

Cattle are only as good as the people are!

Latest posts