Weaning work

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
It is hard to believe that weaning time is here, it just doesn't seem like it was that long ago we were weighing and tagging these babies. The boss has scheduled the work for next Tuesday and Wednesday first run through the chute they will be wormed, bovi shield gold FP 5VL5 and Ultrabac 7/Somubac. In addition to PI test DNA card weight, hip height and steer out 50% of the bull calves. We also tattoo this time so a couple of busy days. The bull calves that get steered will also get a tetanus shot. I don't have to work that hard just do paperwork oh one more item the calves get their EID tag. We will booster in three weeks then fence line wean, after about two weeks the calves are split into male female groups the bull calves are loaded up and hauled to the home place for development. I guess we just need to get ur done.

Gizmom

gizmom":16qgub8q said:
It is hard to believe that weaning time is here, it just doesn't seem like it was that long ago we were weighing and tagging these babies. The boss has scheduled the work for next Tuesday and Wednesday first run through the chute they will be wormed, bovi shield gold FP 5VL5 and Ultrabac 7/Somubac. In addition to PI test DNA card weight, hip height and steer out 50% of the bull calves. We also tattoo this time so a couple of busy days. The bull calves that get steered will also get a tetanus shot. I don't have to work that hard just do paperwork oh one more item the calves get their EID tag. We will booster in three weeks then fence line wean, after about two weeks the calves are split into male female groups the bull calves are loaded up and hauled to the home place for development. I guess we just need to get ur done.

Gizmom

Debbie what do you guys use a a culling factor? I assume its weaning weight performance.

Mid T

It is a combination of things, performance weighs heavy into selection. We had 67 bull calves this year after today we have 37 In three weeks we will cut 10 to 12 more from the keeper list. We steered some mighty nice calves over the past two days the ones that stayed a bull should be dang good ones. I have a spread sheet that I used, I plug in the information at birth, birthdate, birthweight, sire and dam. First run through the chute I plug in the date worked and weight and the formula gives me the ADG from birth to weaning. A calf that isn't gaining close to or better than 3 pounds a day is steered. If a calf has been treated for any type illness he gets to be a steer. If his dam has less than stellar feet he gets cut. If a calf isn't structurally correct he gets to be a steer. If a calf is born at the end of the calving season he gets to be a steer. Our final goal is to have 20 to 25 bulls to develop but we want them to be really good. We worked a grand total of 106 calves the past two days it will take me another couple days to get the data entered. Of the 106 calves I would say three were just duds so their performance will not only earn the calf a trip to the sale barn but we will send it's mamma as well. No since keeping an employee that doesn't get the job done. It has been a busy couple of days.

Gizmom

gizmom":ecyrxc9g said:
Mid T

It is a combination of things, performance weighs heavy into selection. We had 67 bull calves this year after today we have 37 In three weeks we will cut 10 to 12 more from the keeper list. We steered some mighty nice calves over the past two days the ones that stayed a bull should be dang good ones. I have a spread sheet that I used, I plug in the information at birth, birthdate, birthweight, sire and dam. First run through the chute I plug in the date worked and weight and the formula gives me the ADG from birth to weaning. A calf that isn't gaining close to or better than 3 pounds a day is steered. If a calf has been treated for any type illness he gets to be a steer. If his dam has less than stellar feet he gets cut. If a calf isn't structurally correct he gets to be a steer. If a calf is born at the end of the calving season he gets to be a steer. Our final goal is to have 20 to 25 bulls to develop but we want them to be really good. We worked a grand total of 106 calves the past two days it will take me another couple days to get the data entered. Of the 106 calves I would say three were just duds so their performance will not only earn the calf a trip to the sale barn but we will send it's mamma as well. No since keeping an employee that doesn't get the job done. It has been a busy couple of days.

Gizmom

That's how you have happy and repeat bull buyers.

gizmom":2z4ae68x said:
Mid T

Gizmom

Debbie thank you for the info. Will use this to help us in our culling as well.

Latest posts