Weaning Weights

Help Support CattleToday:

ANAZAZI":2xpfq05i said:
To cull opens and late calvers is the fastest way to improve a cow herd.

Can also be the hardest to convince partners to do.There is nothing I hate more than opens and late calvers, I fail to understand some people's attachment to the slackers.

Just curious. How do most people obtain their weaning weights? Most of the people I know do not have access to scales to get individual weaning weights, but they can tell you to the pound what each calf's weaning weight was.

Mid South Guy":23axelhc said:
Just curious. How do most people obtain their weaning weights? Most of the people I know do not have access to scales to get individual weaning weights, but they can tell you to the pound what each calf's weaning weight was.
sale sheet

Mid South Guy":1hs79h6c said:
We cheat and just run them through our scale

Mid South Guy":27m64jfm said:
dun":27m64jfm said:
We cheat and just run them through our scale
I view scales as an important part of my operation. For small producers it makes more sense as every dollar counts.
Over the last few years I have weighed my steer weaners regularly to make sure they hit certain targets. There is nothing worse Then thinking they are going along well only find thats not the case or sometimes you get a really nice surprise that they are doing better than expected.

Simmental7":34yx02gd said:
What kind of maternal bulls have you been using ALACOWMAN?
Bulls that inject maternal quality into calves should ALWAYS give up lbs to terminal sires that inject growth. If the bull injects both maternal and growth, you'll end up with cows that are too big- simmentals lead the nation in largest average cow size. Not something the profit oriented cattleman should be interested in.

I think weaning weights without the cows weight dont mean alot. Ill take a 1000lb cow that weans a 500lb calf over a1400lb cow that weans day 600lb calf any day.

Low 1200lbers can wean 650lb calves all day here. Id like to see heavier milking 1200lb cows available though.

Id rather just wean more lbs per exposed and deal with less cows. The overwhelming number of cows out there can not provide all the milk even a 400lb calf can handle much less a 600lb calf. That's why I love shorthorns. They put all they've got into their calves and they're as fertile as they come. No need for a cow to ever be in a 6+bcs. Especially considering droughts are the extreme exception, not the rule.

It's truly amazing how those 1250# cows weigh 1350-1500# when they are culled. :cowboy:

2 weeks ago I sold a pair of 500 lbs steers brought 1.41

Last week I sold a pair of 280 lbs steers brought 2.25

If the prices stay that way at the barn I don't really care what they would have weighed at weaning. As long as they hit near 300lbs pretty quick... :cboy:

Latest posts