Weaning Weights

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the velcro ones. They are softer, you can add any amount of weight and they are reusable

Ok. Now a more serious response.
A lot depends on your location, your grass, and your programs.
Improved pasture vs native grasses, creep feed or not.
In this area a wean weight of 400 lbs is considered good. But go north and that's a joke.
Most pastures here are native grasses and not improved. Heck most are just scub and palmetto
Most here don't creep feed at all

we run on straight fescue without creep and expect high 5s to mid 6s in normal years. This year they're going to be light becuase there just isn;t any nutrition in the grass (headed out instead of growing leaf)

6-7 months here. Our problem is we get 80% of our annual rain in a 3 month period.

We have black angus pairs that are Jan/Feb calves. How long should they be left with momma if she is in good shape? Calves have been on creep feed and grass since they were two months. Right now, they are about 450#. We had planned to ween them latter part of June, just because.
Should we pay more attention to the cows condition than just setting a date?

lynnmcmahan":u5yytgfs said:
We have black angus pairs that are Jan/Feb calves. How long should they be left with momma if she is in good shape? Calves have been on creep feed and grass since they were two months. Right now, they are about 450#. We had planned to ween them latter part of June, just because.
Should we pay more attention to the cows condition than just setting a date?

Sell em the week before labor day for Jan/Feb calves... That is if body condition is still acceptable. I'm a huge fan of creeping, but not till they're about 90 days old. Prior to that, mothers milk SHOULD provide all the nutrition they can handle.

Simmental7":3ga5fvsj said:
What kind of weaning weights do ya'll get with your cattle?

My fall calves will usually wean off a little lighter than the spring calves. Steers, one hundred pounds per month in age is about average for my conditions. I take them from the cow between 5 to 6 months.

fitz

We run limflex/angus/and PB limousin on BLM permits in the spring and national forrest from june 1st to late october. Cows calve from February to March.

Heifers typically wean around 600lbs. We leave all bull calves as bulls and then cull for steers when they come off the mountain. They average around 700 but its not untypical to have some of our better cows bring home calves at 800.

My registered black angus adjusted to 205 day weights have been running in the high 500 to mid 700 pound range, just depends on whether they are heifers or bulls, and which sires I use. This year I am using my Wagyu bull on some heifers, and my angus bull on a few cows, along with AI.

my average is about 450 pounds, but, some calvesd born early off the good cows may wean 550-600 and the late calves may only be 200 due to how young they are

Cross breeder #1":3l32czet said:
my average is about 450 pounds, but, some calvesd born early off the good cows may wean 550-600 and the late calves may only be 200 due to how young they are
no offence but you could benefit from a calving season

My Fall calves born in Sept-Oct usually wean off low 500's for the heifers and mid 600's for the steers. I am hoping the spring calves this year born late Jan to Early March will weigh more than that first week in August but we shall see. Haven't been getting allot of rain this year so far and it has been a weird year grass wise in my area. The fescue didn't do half of what it usaully does but the clover was out early and strong but it al lis drying up now.

ALOWCOWMAN I do havwe a calving season but out of 60 cows there are 10 that calve late. 1 1/2 month ago all but these ten had calved. 2 of them just calved last weekend, i should cull the very late cows but im just going to keep them until they show up not bred ususally for me this happens at about 10-13 years although some last up until about 16 years old. My weaning percentages are low but they are decent for around here

Well we run on mostly fescue with some clover and we have Angus and Angus cross cows with a Simmental and
Simangus bull and our weaning weights have been at 500-700 pounds some a lil lower being born later. and our cows calve in the spring

My combined average (steers and heifers) for the last 2 years has been 611 pounds for PB Angus calves raised on improved pasture and born in late winter weaned at 6.5 - 7.5 months

hooknline":ttotfa0s said:
I like the velcro ones. They are softer, you can add any amount of weight and they are reusable

If the velcro wears out you can switch to a magic pen. Everytime you go to make a "6" it write downs a "9".