Weaning weights and program

Help Support CattleToday:

SimAngHerf

Reaction score
So I'm curious to what y'alls typical weaning weights are and how is your program setup. I'm always interested to learn from others and their experiences. We are typically mid to upper 5 weight and mid to lower 5 weight for steers and heifers, respectively. We start calving February 8th on paper and wean mid-October, I think we have some room to improve as well. They are primarily sim-angus cows that were breed to Ogden bulls but this year we have swapped tp Herefords.

Spring or fall calving?
Weaning age?
Breed?
Implanted or creep feed?
Location?
If I missed any key details to address please feel free to add more, thank y'all in advance.

I certainly don't have all the answers, like you, I try to learn from people that have been doing this a lot longer than me. I got to know a former ranch manager from Oklahoma, now lives here.
On weaning age, they weaned at 205 days and weighed the calf. At 205 days he wanted the calf to weigh 50% of mother's weight. If a cow's calves consistently failed to hit that mark, they culled the cow
I have Angus and some Charolais (which i inherited) some of the Charolais weigh 15-1600 lbs+. They raise good big calves, but they eat a LOT! I've find out I can get a 1100 lb cow that will raise just as good a calf. Those big girls are not just eating a lot of feed, they are eating up a lot of profit.

Latest posts