Weaning weight differences between heifer and steer calves

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
This topic came up inside the "hay belly" thread below but really is a separate question. As a beginner, I am trying to understand why I saw such a dramatic difference in weaning weights between heifer and steer calves when I weighed and weaned them last Saturday. Do you see a significant weight difference between steer and heifer calves at weaning?

Thanks for any information.

According to my animal science professor, heifers grow more slowly and finish at lighter weights than steers. Since they are growing more slowly, that could explain your difference in weaning weights.

We see that every year. This year our steer calves averaged 650 and our heifers 615. I usually figure about a 40 pound difference. Heifers are not quite as efficient feed converters. You'll also notice a slightly lower market price for heifers as opposed to steers. The buyers like to use that as an excuse to keep the price down on them.

RanchManager":2g51fyhz said:
We see that every year. This year our steer calves averaged 650 and our heifers 615. I usually figure about a 40 pound difference. Heifers are not quite as efficient feed converters. You'll also notice a slightly lower market price for heifers as opposed to steers. The buyers like to use that as an excuse to keep the price down on them.

That 40 lb is about what I saw this spring also. Steers averaged about 620, heifers about 580, from the Cattlemax age-adjusted 205 day weaning wt.

Thank you.

Latest posts