weaning to early

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
we bought a group of cows from a deceased family member, good cows. but, i noticed that the cows kick thier calves off at 4-5 months, he let the cows wean the calves themselves for several years. due to health problems, he let stuff go.
it seems odd when you wean the job is done already, the cows are dry. but the problem is some of the calves look bad.

jcarkie":hjbgau7v said:
we bought a group of cows from a deceased family member, good cows. but, i noticed that the cows kick thier calves off at 4-5 months, he let the cows wean the calves themselves for several years. due to health problems, he let stuff go.
it seems odd when you wean the job is done already, the cows are dry. but the problem is some of the calves look bad.

Based on what you've said, I wonder if the guy had them vaccinated and de-wormed properly. If in doubt, give them a full regimen of calf vaccinations and de-worm them. I'd also probably add some calf manna or other supplement to ensure they are getting enough nutrition along with any quality grass or hay they're eating.

We've never had a cow kick a calf off at 4-5 months. We wean ours a +/- 205 days. By that time they are definitely eating well on their own plus occasionally go to the teat for a treat... :)

I have older cows sometimes get tired of nursing their calves, but not that early. More like 7 months. Probably should have some grain protein supplement at that age.

What condition are the cows in? If a cow does not have enough nutrients to take care of herself sometimes she will wean the calf early. Get the cows on a mineral and vaccination program, feed them up and see if that doesn't solve the problem next year. The calves this year will need extra feed and TLC.

i have been told he didn't give shots in awhile. i have given them everything and put them on minerals. they are in good shape and breed back very quick. i am trying to get them in a 60 day breeding season. i have never seen cows wean so young, not all of them but some of the cows.

It's probably not a habit you are going to break. Since they are all currently healthy and still doing it I would ship out the early weaners. I have never seen it either.

Latest posts