Weaning some heifers early

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber":2pev17dv said:
callmefence":2pev17dv said:
I'll bow in and bow out. Brute's way is very common in Texas and very similar to mine. I do keep bulls in most of my place's year round. There's a dam far leap between a heifer cycling at 4 to 6 months and breeding at say 18 months.
I would consider a heifer cycling at that age a nightmare and get her off my place immediately. Nothing female cycling that young can be anything but a pita. :2cents:

Yeah I wouldn't want one cycling before 20 months they might get bred and have a calf. That would suck.

I would consider that to long in the other direction. There is quite a difference between the 6 and 20.
Although I would prefer 20 over 6.

Pure bloods can go 24 months but just going to F1s will knock it back to 18 months easy.

The only reason the bull is in for 6 months is so I don't have to put him in his own pasture. Most cows are bred early and he is just chillin the last half. It also allows for me to take cows from spring to fall or vise-versa and never skip a beat.

I don't understand why people pull bulls after their calving window. If she is late regularly you will know by her calf, but at least you have a calf to sell with her. You pull the bull and you either have to palpate or wait for no calf. Either way you got nothing to sell. Only thing that comes to mind is extreme weather.

Wean here mostly at 6 - 7 months old. Occasionally between 8 - 9. Usually wait 30 - 40 days after weaning and give them lute just to be safe. Its a cheap way to be safe. Most usually aren't bred anyway but it keeps that occasional one from seeping through the cracks. Just shocked by how early two came in heat this year.

Latest posts