weaning rings

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
Has anyone used weaning rings to wean their calves? If so, what is the best ring, methods, time before removal and success rate?

Yes, I have been using them for about 6 years.

The best is the spikey platic one, the worst is the metal one that looks like a flap over the muzzle.

Hardly any method involved putting it in. Head in headgate, loosen the wingnut put ring in and tighten wingnut. For removing put head in headgate loosen wingnut and pull out. Sometimes the ring grows through the septum and you end up with both knobs in the same nostril. From experience its better to push both through the septum to the other nostril and remove one knob and then the other pulling it back through the septum again.

It helps if you can start the calves on feed before weaning if your pasture isn't great, put rings in and leave them with the cows for about a week, then you can remove the calves if you want, but keep the rings in for now incase some cow decide to come fetch the calf.

Success rate is about 95% for me, long teats and first calvers that refuse to wean the calf can sometimes cause problems, but overall a great invention. They last a long time, but you'll probably break a few each year when removing them.

Haven't used them myself, but 2 neighbors tried them this year and both like them. Only complaint was that you cannot leave them in too long or they can make sores in the noses. One said they did only 5 days but that was enough and loved them, and will use them every year now. For me, I like the idea of it, but the way we are layed out, we cannot go around to that many pastures and catch everything twice or 3 times to prewean and do nose weaners. I think those that have their cattle in one or two groups would work great.

Well I am going to try it. I am not really set up to separate my cattle so if it works it will be a godsend. I am a bit worried about damaging the nose though. Should I have a vet do it for me?

Onthebit":2izjl8sd said:
Well I am going to try it. I am not really set up to separate my cattle so if it works it will be a godsend. I am a bit worried about damaging the nose though. Should I have a vet do it for me?

Never had problems with sores in the nose, just that the two ends usually end up in the same nostril. The hole made is handy when it comes to putting noserings in the bulls.

You don't need the vet, there really is no skill involved.

I usually smooth the two knobs with my pocketknife incase there is any rough edges from being cast.

Latest posts