Weaning Replacement Heifers?????

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I plan on keeping some heifers this fall. I would like an opinion as to how long I could separate/wean them from their mother before I turn them back in together and they not nurse their mother or their mother let them.

I would probably try for 6-8 weeks if you can. I've had them separated before for a few weeks and turn them back out and a cow that looks practically dry will bag up again some once her calf is back with her. Some cows will pretty much wean their calves themselves, and some will take weeks to get completely dry after separating their calves.

Banjo":m2xletyi said:
I plan on keeping some heifers this fall. I would like an opinion as to how long I could separate/wean them from their mother before I turn them back in together and they not nurse their mother or their mother let them.
At least six weeks.

wbvs58":zp9pqd5i said:
Why don't you try nose rings on them.
Ken
I've never tried that but interesting concept, have you used them? if so, what's the process. How long on etc.

if your going to turn them back with the cows after weaning id say 90 to 120 days.to make sure they are fully weaned an then put them back with the cows.

We run ours with the weaning steers for 45-60 days depending on what's convenient. The day the steers climb on the trailer the heifers go back with the cow herd and stay there until either the bull goes back with the bred cows or permanently if we're keeping the bull separte from the bred cows. Only had one that went back to nursing and she was a long yearling and had been weaned for 6-7 months. She saw calves nursing and started in nursing again. She was tasty eating.

I'm not impressed with the nose rings, Banjo. Lost too many, if you gotta' wean one, you just as well wean 100. I'm gonna' leave them in 2 weeks, then haul the calves home. I'd say when the cows come home in 5-6 weeks, I'll try and see if the heifers are weaned and turn them in with the cows. gs

Latest posts