Weaning Question

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
We've separated our calves from their moms.

What is the typically time it takes for the cows to be separted from the calves for the calves not to want to take milk from their moms?

That really depends on the pair.

Some cows have a tendency to nurse their young long after they should wean. Others will start to wean at 3 to 5 months on their own.

As a rule, I'll keep mine off for at least 6 weeks to 2 months.

GaryDG":14z7cq6w said:

What is the typically time it takes for the cows to be separted from the calves for the calves not to want to take milk from their moms?

You can seperate calves for a few weeks. At this time (most of the time) the calf may still want to suck, but the cow will have dried up - and not let the calf suck as it hurts/irritates her.

GaryDG":2ocdte7o said:

It depends on the calf and the cow - we've had problems with yearling calves nursing their mothers on occasion. Granted - it's the exception rather than the rule, but it does happen.

Thanks for your replies. They were all on point. And all apppreciated particularly fro the group that respoded.

We had several differemt scenarious anticipated for this question.

First, recognize we are trying to get this cattle operatio figured out!

One had to deal with a 18 month heifer calf who every day or so milked from her pregnant (hopefully) mom.

The 6 calves average age 7 months and we separated them (along with their older buddy) from their moms this weekend.

The big question was when we could pull the 18 month old (she tends to dominate the feeding arena) from the earlier calves so that the "preconditioning" could focus on these younger ones. ie When will the cows udder's dry up given that they are expecting new calves very early next year?

well, the mother of the 18 month old should have already calved again and the 18 month old should be bred. chances are if she has milked for this long, when the cow finally does calve, the heifer will go back to nursing her and rob the baby's milk. i would either sell her or find a way to keep her separate.

GaryDG":21yb5wx1 said:
First, recognize we are trying to get this cattle operatio figured out!

No problem.

One had to deal with a 18 month heifer calf who every day or so milked from her pregnant (hopefully) mom.

Are you saying that this 18 month old heifer is still nursing?

The 6 calves average age 7 months and we separated them (along with their older buddy) from their moms this weekend.

The big question was when we could pull the 18 month old (she tends to dominate the feeding arena) from the earlier calves so that the "preconditioning" could focus on these younger ones. ie When will the cows udder's dry up given that they are expecting new calves very early next year?

I'm not sure a cow will dry up if she is being nursed - depending on the cow and whether she will wean on her own or not. Our calves and cows are not given that option. The calves are weaned at approx 6 months of age, the steer calves are sold the following spring, and the replacement heifers are kept seperate from the main herd unti after they are bred to calve as 2 year-olds.

Gary,

Both Beefy and Msscamp bring up good points. Another to consider is that letting a calf stay on the cow for 18 months will physically drag the cow down. As long as she's milking, all of her energy will go into producing milk first - and maintaining her body last. Milking cows can easily consume twice the amount of forage that a non-milking ("dry") cow will. It's better to let the calf do the work, and moma to get back into shape.

We just let the calves in with the herd after a five week seperation...no problems.
Seems like the better mothers will let the calf back on the teat thats why we kept them apart for five weeks.
We wean at 205 days but earlier for a couple this year as we needed to pull old boss cow's calf off earlier as she was loosing condition (he is a big calf and she is a heavy milker) and we wean all the calves at the same time...just easier for us that way and all are within a month in age.
Just my two bits worth.
DMc

I'm surprised at the "5 - 6 weeks" responses. Every retained heifer I've ever had has gone back to her momma if held back for less than 3 months. I usually keep my heifers seperated until they are ready to breed. Since I started doing that, only 1 has gone back to nursing, so she went down the road.

But, if y'all can keep them from returning to nursing after only 5-6 weeks - great!

Latest posts