Weaning Question

Help Support CattleToday:

TxStateCowboy

Reaction score
I was wondering how early I can wean some calves off of their cows, as I have 1/4 of the calf crop ready for weaning but the rest are a couple months old.

Would it be ok to wean 2-4 month old calves (along with the 6-7 month olds?), putting them on their own small pasture(good fences) with hay and feed?

Would putting a couple of cows or older heifers with them help?

We have weaned calves as early as three months to even everything out BUT, the calves that are that young getting weaned seem to have greatly stunted growth!

TxStateCowboy":pc094m3p said:
Would it be ok to wean 2-4 month old calves (along with the 6-7 month olds?), putting them on their own small pasture(good fences) with hay and feed?

I wouldn't wean them until they were at least 4 months old - even then only if I had to because they just don't do as well usually. Just my thoughts.

thanks ya'll.

I'll wean in groups of 6 or so as they reach 4 1/2 to 5 mo., depending on what they look like or how dependent they seem on mom.

TSC

I have weaned calves at 3 months with good results, however they will need extra protein for a couple of months. When grazing warm season grass I feed 2lb/day corn gluten pellets or 2lb/day of 20% cubes. You can also feed 5lb/hd 3 times weekly to save time. They need an extra .4-.5lb crude protein daily. After 3 months of age, mom's primary function is providing a protein supplement. The calf should be getting over 50% of their nutrition from forage at this age.

For more info on low stress weaning do a google search for fence line weaning.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

When I weaned last fall about half the calves were 500 to 600 lbs, the other half about 300 lbs. I wanted get it done. It was a big mistake. The calves were fed free choice corn silage and 2nd crop mixed hay, with a limited amount of grain. The big calves gained more than 3 lbs. a day the young ones hardly 1 lb. a day.

Latest posts