Weaning question-very small herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
I have a single 7 Mo old heifer that I want to wean, as dam is bred to calve in November. I also have another bred cow (no calf) and the lone steer remaining from our freezer boys-he will leave in October, to be replaced by two young, weaned steers.
It's hot here in Texas, so I thought starting the separation in the evening to avoid overheating would be a good idea-attempt #1 yesterday. No bawling, I kept the heifer and steer together, separated mom and other cow, who happily wandered off. Well, steer got so worked up that he got the heifer running around too, and I decided that day time emergency resolution would be much easier than night, so I let them back together to prevent a broken neck from a not-quite calf-proof gate.
Attempt #2 will be this morning. I'm tempted to pen heifer with non-dam cow, but would she likely start trying to nurse her? She is also due in November. That is her usual "babysitter" most of the time, however.
Attempting fence line weaning. Likely easier with more to work with...

I know the studies say fence line weaning is supposed to be best but from what I have seen it's worse. If I load the calves up and get them away from their mommas they adjust way faster.

Now, I've never weaned 2 head and that may has some effect. 2 may not be enough to fulfill the herd instinct to where when you wean 20 the feel like their own herd.

Realistically only 1 is being weaned, the steer is 20 mo, and the one that will be added in the next few weeks is 60 days weaned from another facility

You could try to put the momma up with the steer and leave the heifer out with the others to see if she does any better that way. I've had some calves do better doing that way, where they aren't moving to a different field/lot than they are used to. If you have trouble keeping them separated, you could also try the nose flaps.

When we wean, and for whatever reason we do not do the whole group, we leave the calves where they are familiar with "babysitter cows" that they know, and move the momma's. Then after a few days to a few weeks, the cows left there are moved and the calves are still where they are used to things. If everyone is being weaned, then they get moved to where ever they need to be.... cows left and calves moved, or vice versa. Just depends. It's hard with a small number. Have never weaned just one by its self unless they were put into a very secure pen.

I've always brought mine into the barn to wean be it one, two or twenty. To me if they are in a smaller confined area there is no walking the fence till they get sick. They are also close to feed, hay and water and with similar sized animals and ample space to eat they seem to transition fairly soon. I turn them out of the barn after about a week or so.

A.J. said:
You could try to put the momma up with the steer and leave the heifer out with the others to see if she does any better that way. I've had some calves do better doing that way, where they aren't moving to a different field/lot than they are used to. If you have trouble keeping them separated, you could also try the nose flaps.

This is how they are arranged now and seems to be better than split the other way.

I always wean in the morning and usually fenceline wean. The don't really know until lunchtime that they have been separated. By nightfall they know where the fences are and their limit to where they can go, not that they won't try to push through things. I always put a 2nd chain on gates down low so they can't push and bend them to get through. I am meticulous to make sure there are no weak spots as once you get an escapee it is hard to stop them again. I find the 2nd night can be tough when they put in that last ditch effort to get through.

Ken

So far going better with the current pairings than yesterday. And yes, she is small-she is half-Aberdeen. The cow next to her is a commercial Brangus

Jealous of your rain, we have the umbrella over our place I guess. Weaning going well so far, started out with the babysitter cow, switched now to the steer to hang out with the young 'un. Mama's staying next to the fence more than the calf at times. Pretty quiet overall though. Thanks for the suggestions!