weaning or yearling weights vs mature weight

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
with the discussion on the 1000# weaning weight, i am curious as to whether there is a standard given (like breed a heifer at 65% of her mature weight) on the weaning weight of a bull calf or yearling weight of a bull calf and his projected mature weight.

thanks

jt

Reference to that 1000# weaning weight...definitely an exception!

If you take birth weight, then add an average of 2 to 2.5 lbs gain a day for 205 days, then I feel that is an acceptable "weaning weight". Or, probably not more than 400 to 600 lbs weight at weaning. This is assuming a "good" sized cow that weighs 1000 to 1200 lbs as an adult.

If the calf is grazing effectively, eating other feed effectively and has a good set of teeth, he/she is darn big enough to be weaned and get on with his/her life. Plus, if it is still in a prolonged nursing, the cow is helping it more than herself (who should be be bred back anyway).

Running Arrow Bill":2lm8q21z said:
Reference to that 1000# weaning weight...definitely an exception!

If you take birth weight, then add an average of 2 to 2.5 lbs gain a day for 205 days, then I feel that is an acceptable "weaning weight". Or, probably not more than 400 to 600 lbs weight at weaning. This is assuming a "good" sized cow that weighs 1000 to 1200 lbs as an adult.

If the calf is grazing effectively, eating other feed effectively and has a good set of teeth, he/she is darn big enough to be weaned and get on with his/her life. Plus, if it is still in a prolonged nursing, the cow is helping it more than herself (who should be be bred back anyway).
All the bulls in the Remitall catalog had WW at least in the sevens, several in the eights, and several in the nines. I don't think this means that the 600 pound calf is no longer a keeper. Much depends on environment,etc. Plus, he may have other traits like a 65 pound BW instead of 107! Back to the original question if I understand it right, I believe there are bloodlines which can have exceptional weaning weights while still having moderate mature size. I personally don't want a cow over 1400, and prefer a 1100-1200. I think the ideal bull is about 2000. Again, environment affects this too. Canadian cattle that have 3000 pound bulls and 2000 pound cows, if taken to Florida, will produce calves that mature at smaller weights. Mr. Adair, owner of Grandview Plantation, says their calves will have lighter BW in the south too! I have often heard that the 1100 pound cow will wean a higher percentage of her body weight on less maintenance than the 1500 pound cow, and I believe it.