Weaning - On the truck or in the pen?

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
I was reading the article on the front page of cattle today, and it got me to wondering about weaning practices.

How many of you go the extra step and wean your calves on the ranch before taking them to the sale? And, if you do, have you noticed a payoff at the sale?

Unless we are keeping them for replacement we take them straight from the mama to the salebarn.

We fencline wean and precondition for 30-45 days. Most of them go to our marketing program, but htose that don't make the program seem to bring a couple of bucks cwt extra.

dun

we looked into preconditioning programs and special sales, but currently our practice is to only give the calves blackleg vaccinations. the extra cost of the additional vaccinations as well as the extra work, time, and feed involved to precondition just didn't seem worth it to us.

"The Look"
As an earlier post was talking about a different look.
Feeder buyers can identify truck weaned calves up to 6 or 7 months.
Older than that they don't care. But if you wean your calves at 6 or 7 months, and haul them straight in you're getting docked a little weather you know it or not.
For some folks its not worth the differance to go through the trouble of weaning.
Others want the ring man to anounce whos calves are selling and if they look a little scruffy and bring a little more some folks just scratch their heads.

Hillbilly

As a buyer I prefer straight off of the cow. Just an opinion but as in the post before mine it is obvious that the weaned 6 and 7 month calves are nocked back a little. As I said it just my opinion

wilde":3lqpg1b8 said:
As a buyer I prefer straight off of the cow. Just an opinion but as in the post before mine it is obvious that the weaned 6 and 7 month calves are nocked back a little. As I said it just my opinion

Say what ????

In an operation were (the buyer) starts the cattle on feed. I prefer them off of the cow, BUT that is due to me being the feeder, doctor, and buyer, it also allows me to purchase the smaller weight calves and in smaller lots then start them until they hit the 550-650 lbs to get a higher return with little time. If and, I stress if, you buy good calves and spend alot of time on youre health you would be surprised the rate of return offered buy doing that. That point of feeding is just as important to the gain as any, plus I know how they were started and the dexterity of the cattle, and I took them threw a tuff time. Which inturn when I offer them to a buyer or larger lot they produce the expected thus helping the reputation that my business is built on. As for orders from other clients I look for weaned calves due to the fact it is easier on them, for all the obvious reasons. Sorry I should have said that ealier. The nocked back comment ment that they will back off of feed a little but that is all the loss (hopefully) that a feed yard will experience with them. I didn't do to good of job when I had posted that othe rone, sorry kind of new to this

We precondition, and vacinated to a set protocol and sell in a comingled sale. We typical get 10 cents plus over local market in the comingled sale.

wilde":ktt7mx6b said:

As a buyer you would prefer a weaned calf. The seller takes the intial shrink, sickness, and sometimes death loss.

BLACKPOWER":396uoetf said:
wilde":396uoetf said:

As a buyer you would prefer a weaned calf. The seller takes the intial shrink, sickness, and sometimes death loss.

Hey, looka here!
I agree with BLACKPOWER!
See Dun, I told you he was'nt so bad.

hillbilly":36rxe4ba said:
BLACKPOWER":36rxe4ba said:
wilde":36rxe4ba said:

Hey, looka here!
I agree with BLACKPOWER!

Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while.

dun

hillbilly":39orhvmt said:
BLACKPOWER":39orhvmt said:
wilde":39orhvmt said:

Hey, looka here!
I agree with BLACKPOWER!

Well well well, Hillbilly. Count this dumb Texan in with you. He's right on that one. We wean on sale day because in our type of operation it doesn't pay enough to condition. But from a buyer's perspective he's right.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":14khafvv said:
hillbilly":14khafvv said:
BLACKPOWER":14khafvv said:
wilde":14khafvv said:

Hey, looka here!
I agree with BLACKPOWER!

Well well well, Hillbilly. Count this dumb Texan in with you. He's right on that one. We wean on sale day because in our type of operation it doesn't pay enough to condition. But from a buyer's perspective he's right.

Craig-TX

Well Craig thats two dumb Texans and I do have a hat big one.

Campground Cattle":3um9r4uq said:
Craig-TX":3um9r4uq said:
hillbilly":3um9r4uq said:
BLACKPOWER":3um9r4uq said:
wilde":3um9r4uq said:

Hey, looka here!
I agree with BLACKPOWER!

Craig-TX

Well Craig thats two dumb Texans and I do have a hat big one.

I'm sure Blackpower has a hat. Don't you wish you had two just like it? He he he

Craig-TX

TXBobcat":1jqg8nbu said:
I was reading the article on the front page of cattle today, and it got me to wondering about weaning practices.

How many of you go the extra step and wean your calves on the ranch before taking them to the sale? And, if you do, have you noticed a payoff at the sale?
I sell private treaty usually, but I wean the calves before the sale.

The only things that are weaned on the place are replacement heifers. All others go from Mama's sweet nectar / grass to the sale barn.

;-)

Latest posts