Weaning on feed and Teff Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
So I have a friend that tried Teff hay this year. It did pretty well but he got behind when we got 10-12inches of rain in 2days so he round baled 6bales of it. Should be doing another 30-40bales soon. Teff is a 18-22%protein hay comparable to alfalfa. So im buying 20ish bales to wean calves on. Ive got 35 calves 350-500lbs weaning Oct 3rd(with sign). Am I crazy to wean them on 3-4lbs grain ration and free choice teff? I usually wean on quality bermuda/fescue/prarie hay and 7-8lbs grain. Due to feed cost im trying to reduce that cost, however I think they need the sugars and starches of the grain too

In weaning I use a good leafy hay and minimal feed. A sudden change to a lot of feed at the beginning i feel messes up the stomach before the bacteria can adjust. As far as the Teff I have never tried it but I would be ok with it.

Have you tested that hay? Teff cut at the right time can test pretty good. But like any other grass hay cut too late it won't test nearly as high.

Have you tested that hay? Teff cut at the right time can test pretty good. But like any other grass hay cut too late it won't test nearly as high.
I actually picked up the test probe today at the local extension office. Took samples this evening. Sending it off tommorrow. Figured a 10dollar test to see if its actually what he said itd test at is worth it. And yes it was cut later than ideal. Still hoping for 16%protein or better.
Local vet cautioned on not feeding more than 2lbs per head.. Could cause some big scientific word, caudosis or something.. Lol

Teff test results
No you are not crazy to feed 3-4 pounds of corn along with this hay. Nutritionists formulate the energy portion of growing/finishing rations based off the NEg number you see in that test. Most weaning rations they formulate are in the mid 40's to low 50's NEg. Keep in mind the more corn you feed (9% protein) the lower their diet protein % will be. For example if their diet was 75% this hay and 25% corn it would be 14% protein overall. Any more corn than that & you should consider feeding a protein supplement as well.

No teff is not alfalfa. The extension office ask what the protein should be and based on protein, alfalfa was the closest thing that they regularly test. Its a warm season grass sort of like rye. Very popular with horse ppl. In this case it got to tall and course due to his schedule and weather, which is also reason it probably didn't test higher in protein being over mature. It should be cut every 21 days after first cut

In weaning I use a good leafy hay and minimal feed. A sudden change to a lot of feed at the beginning i feel messes up the stomach before the bacteria can adjust. As far as the Teff I have never tried it but I would be ok with it.
That's what Precon is good for. Lots of roughage for the rumen.

Latest posts