Weaning in Cold Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Needing to wean a few heifers.

Our corral is 6" boards spaced 6" apart up to 6'. I'm sure it slows "some" of the wind, but definitely isn't a windbreak. Seems the wind never stops here. We are due some cold weather starting this week. Would y'all wait until it warms a bit? How would y'all handle it? I thought about a few pieces of plywood in a corner, going each direction. Or a tarp. Gets pretty windy though. Once they calm down i can move them up to the front, better protected from the weather.

Saw the moon says Jan 6 and 11 are good days. Many of you all go by the moon?

According to the weather outlook, as of the 6th it will warm a bit. Calling for temps in the upper 20's and low 30's over night. Calling for the low teens and high single digits over the next week or so.

ClinchValley":psaxvtue said:
Needing to wean a few heifers.

Our corral is 6" boards spaced 6" apart up to 6'. I'm sure it slows "some" of the wind, but definitely isn't a windbreak. Seems the wind never stops here. We are due some cold weather starting this week. Would y'all wait until it warms a bit? How would y'all handle it? I thought about a few pieces of plywood in a corner, going each direction. Or a tarp. Gets pretty windy though. Once they calm down i can move them up to the front, better protected from the weather.

According to the weather outlook, as of the 6th it will warm a bit. Calling for temps in the upper 20's and low 30's over night. Calling for the low teens and high single digits over the next week or so.

Temperature does not concern me for the health of younger cattle and calves as much as shelter does. I think getting wet and not having clean bedding is a bigger factor than temperature. If they have shelter and bedding, I would not hesitate.

Hard on you and the calves. Just wait. Weaning by,the signs works,better anyway. Or I'm coming to Blackwater tomorrow to pick up some cows I,could just load them at a cheap price and save you the worries.

ClinchValley":31sz5luk said:

I don't go by the moon on anything. Although the gravitational effects do have an influence. I cannot see a connection to weaning. Maybe it has to do with werewolves.

I need to wean some and I'm waiting for this cold snap to end (just getting ready to go out & break ice - again). Even with protection from the elements, I just don't want to risk their bawling for 2-3 days with temps predicted in the negatives. I do wean by the Almanac, just because; I have no idea if it's accurate but I rarely end up with a sick calf.

I think nose paddles would be perfect for this weather. You want to limit the bawling and pacing in the cold air - and thats just what they do.

Supa Dexta":2sj3dy53 said:
I think nose paddles would be perfect for this weather. You want to limit the bawling and pacing in the cold air - and thats just what they do.
Great idea, just ordered some. But I'm still going to wait until the temps come back up, mainly because I want that warm milk in their bellies.

We brought some cows and heifer calves home Fri before Christmas. Vet came out and preg checked and we weaned 8 so we could get one load of cows moved out to pasture. The calves were all eating grain good though and aside from some bawling for a couple days, they are doing good. Planning to sell a couple of the calves in a couple of weeks so just left the mommas with them. It has since turned really cold, down to 12* last night and didn't hit freezing today. If they didn't have those first couple of days in decent temps, we probably would've waited. Cold and stress is not a good combination. Got 30 more to preg ck and wean and they won't get done til after this next 5-10 day projected colder than normal spell.