Weaning for Dollars

Help Support CattleToday:

They are eating well now.
One thing I found, looking back at records, the two I weaned at 5 months look the worst! Took me a bit to get tag numbers and what not. They have faded so bad.
I dont think I will wean any that young again. 2 stragglers. Already working on tightening things up.

I'm a dummy. Been feeding 12% pellets.
Starting over. Bought half a ton of 13% today. 2 cents a pound higher but we will see how it goes. I'd like to get em sold next month. But I cant sell em looking like they do. Don't like that at all.

I'm a dummy. Been feeding 12% pellets.
Starting over. Bought half a ton of 13% today. 2 cents a pound higher but we will see how it goes. I'd like to get em sold next month. But I cant sell em looking like they do. Don't like that at all.
Sounds like you could justify a grain bin if you're going to feed calves for a long time. You should be able to get better feed at a lower cost.

I pay 12 cents/lb for 17% protein 5% fat 3 tons at a time.

Sounds like you could justify a grain bin if you're going to feed calves for a long time. You should be able to get better feed at a lower cost.

I pay 12 cents/lb for 17% protein 5% fat 3 tons at a time.
I'm positive I could save money by buying 3 ton at a time. Storage is my problem. I just want them in good enough shape to sell. I'm contemplating asking around about putting them on wheat and holding til march. Idk

the largest local sale barn around here does not recommend implanting calves before bringing them to the sale. they say most buyers would rather use their own implant strategy after getting them home. I personally have never implanted any of my calves. they are good at passing on vaccination and weaning info when brought into the ring. I have only watched a few sales, but properly handled cattle do seem to bring a better price.

I didnt used to implant at all.
After seeing the gains they achieve, all steers get one. I generally dont implant heifers in case someone wants them as replacements. I dont keep them long enough for a second round.
Sales around here dont even mention implants. I'll guess they assume e1 does it.
They do announce vaccinations and weaning times tho.

I've been mulling that exact scenario around. I've considered making a "lot" or "pen" out of a small acre or so I have and just feed em hay and feed thru winter. I've got 2 heifers I could throw in with em and make it an even dozen.
Cuts into my feed money for cows tho.
I'm very curious how they would do tho.

I still havnt asked around about wheat pasture. For me that seems like more gathering and sorting and hauling than I really want to do. But I guess if they gain 200 300 pounds over winter it could be worth the work.

Murrays Mutts. I didn't realize until this morning you are in OK. I'm in west central OK and the drought is bad here. We are going to wean and sell after 30 days. Going to wean the big end first. No wheat here. The seed is laying in the ground waiting on moisture to germinate.
Our local feed store gets a mix in with cottonseed, cracked corn and a pellet for $240.00 a ton. It is in bulk. I use our old Bar 6 cake feeder to get it in and to feed in troughs. Some are just using the big totes. They either lift them with a tractor or the arms on a bale bed. The store sold over 30,000 lbs 2 weeks ago. It is being used to develop bulls, as a creep feed and to grow calves. I can find out where it cones from if you are interested. A lot cheaper than the 14% pellets.
Around here at the sale barns if you have them announce implant free they will bring more. I have found the extra pays for any extra gain I see. We will start weaning this week.

O hey @elkwc !
Thanks for the shout on the feed.
I'm selling them the 5th. They are doing well. Eating like pigs. I've got them on 13% bagged pellets. 80 pounds a day.
I was going to shoot for 100 but their manure is pretty loose even tho they are consuming a good amount of hay daily in addition to feed. The bigger ones are doing great! Look great.
The smaller 2 are still lagging behind a ways but I'm hoping for the best by the 5th.

They seem to be looking much better. Hair has really come on tho since the cold snap. They will sell the 5th. I'll update when I have an average weight. Hope all that feed has helped.

The moisture should create some demand for good weaned calves. Everyone was waiting on wheat pasture to get some rain. Fingers crossed!

The futures are up quite a bit for the last couple days. Maybe you are right about the moisture. My calves won't be ready for at least 3 more weeks. If the trend keeps going up, probably sell a load of the biggest ones in early December.

I think the scales are screwy at the coop.
Dropped them at the sale barn today. 10 calves averaged 456. Dont sound right at all. We will see what they do Thursday.
Free feed an yardage starting today til sale day. I'm sure I'll pay one way or another but they are the barns responsibility now I guess

Heeeere we go...
20201105_185843.jpg
First off, they did NOT sell co-mingled. They just didnt match the others that were sold that way. I left it up to the salebarn manager to do what he thought was best. I think he did me right.
Numbers are not in any particular order.
1. The 6 that were like in kind and weight did the best. Altho I wouldve liked to seen .20 cents more.
2. The first heifer did ok, I'm glad they sorted the 2 heifers seperate. I'll be bringing the other one back home. Wasnt gonna let her go for 250 bucks. She will make a nice cow one day.
3. I will NOT be weaning any at 5 months again! The 1 heifer and 2 steers really really struggled to grow. Didnt want the steer back. He sold. Altho the second steer I thought that wasnt doing too well sold in the group of 6.
4. The bull did a pretty good job making nice uniform calves.
5. My single biggest problem I think is....
CALVING WINDOW!

As an aside... I was very pleased, as were some other folks who made comment, with their behavior in the ring. Probly the calmest set that came thru!

That calving window problem will be solved this year at one place. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait til next year to straighten it up here. I would have to hold too many off the bull to make it worthwhile.

Thoughts and comments are always welcome!

Last edited:
Mainly just for convenience. Didnt want to wean 2 seperate groups. Some were 6,7,8 months.
They LOOKED bigger than they actually were too I guess. As evidenced by weights on the ticket.
I'm hit or miss on guessing weights here lately. Lol

Mainly just for convenience. Didnt want to wean 2 seperate groups. Some were 6,7,8 months.
They LOOKED bigger than they actually were too I guess. As evidenced by weights on the ticket.
I'm hit or miss on guessing weights here lately. Lol
That usually has more to do with being able to catch them than finding the ideal weaning time.

Latest posts