weaning early..5 mos

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
maybe 4 1/2 ...disadvantages?

planned on having all 10 sold at 5 mos but sale didn't go thru...typical

theyre offa mommas at 5 mos..usually wait til 6 or later if I cant catch em or something...theyre all already bunk broke and backgrounded so theyre good to go...just curious what yall think..theyre doing great after 2 weeks offa momma so it don't seem like a problem

We usually let ours go 7 months... But I think that should be fine...

I'm weaning calves a month early this year as we need to heal up some old cows before we sell them towards the end of the year. These will be 5-7 months. I'd rather the cow be raising them than me though.

If they are eating grain and hay, and not walking fences bawling for momma, then they should do fine. It's the weaning early and them not eating well that will really hit them. Think about it, most dairies keep the calves on milk for only 6-12 weeks at most. The calf is eating 2% of it's body weight in grain, as well as getting going on hay when it is weaned off the bottle. NOT saying this is ideal, but if they are eating then they can get enough nutrition from the grain and the hay will help stimulate the rumen, and they will grow. We usually wean our beef calves in the 6-9 month range; depending on the cows' condition, pasture conditions, market prices, whether we have to move cows or other circumstances but we have weaned as early as 5 months. It is just a whole lot easier and less costly to leave them on the cow if pasture grass, and body condition of the cow, is adequate.
Sounds like they are doing fine for you; hope you find another sale.

Disadvantage is the cost of feed. Mama can feed them cheaper than you can. You've got them weaned so theirs no going back now. But weaning and starting them on feed early like this almost makes pets out of them. They really can gentle down. Mama probably doesn't need the extra month to "recoup" condition either. Early weaning can be beneficial for young first time calvers since they are still maturing.

dieselbeef":s69dda9s said:
maybe 4 1/2 ...disadvantages?

planned on having all 10 sold at 5 mos but sale didn't go thru...typical

theyre offa mommas at 5 mos..usually wait til 6 or later if I cant catch em or something...theyre all already bunk broke and backgrounded so theyre good to go...just curious what yall think..theyre doing great after 2 weeks offa momma so it don't seem like a problem
I am doing one at that age too. Seems fine. Eating grass and feed good.

good enough I sold 4 of em today at better than mkt avg..both parties were very happy and they are a well known cattle family with around 200 hd of purebred brahmas

wean all my heifer calves & steers on heifers at 5 months anymore, just put them on good grass for a while then later start on whole corn. other steers I wean at 6 months.

usually I wait til 6 mos for anything gping straight to the market..if im gonna hold em to grow out for sale I tried it early this yr..worked out good. sometimes I will keep em til they get to 8-9 mos to bring more money if the grass will hold em

Latest posts