Weaning day

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We gave all the calves their booster shots today steered out those that didn't make the criteria to stay a bull. I should add that event if they kept their credentials this go they have to continue to perform or they lose them when we do the yearling measurements. I would rank this as one of the best calf crops we have ever weaned. I think what I am most excited about are the calves out of cows we own and flushed. This SAV Blackcap May 0524 cow is turning out to be as good as we had hoped for. Her first flush we got four eggs put all four in and got four calves three bulls and one heifer. The sire of the flush was Coleman EXT 6149 all 4 are standouts, we took weights on 4/26/16 the three Bulls actual weights and adj. weights were: C30 actual 588 adjusted 581, C39 actual 736 adjusted 742 and C21 actual 630 adjusted 616 the heifer mate to these calves C42 actual 582 adjusted 588. The two heifers out of the other cow we own 0709 and Wulffs EXT 6106 are as nice a pair of heifers ever born on the place C15 actual weight 576 adjusted 560 and C33 actual 644 adjusted 636. Those are my favorites but we have so many I like this year it is really hard to pick a favorite.

Gizmom

Well, here I am all excited to see pictures, and there's no pictures. I feel cheated. I don't know if I'll be able to trust a post on here again. :cry2:

Nice cattle like always!!!!

I'm going to have to get some guard rails like everyone else. It's like everyone is trying to hold in a herd of elephants. :hide:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, much better. I like that bull in the third picture. Great looking calves as always.

Thanks all overall it is really a nice group of calves. The calf in the third picture is a ET calf out of Right Time one of my favorite EXT sons. I am going to be 100% honest he isn't one of my favorite calves, I don't like the way he drops off from hooks to pins, I just like to see a level rump on a bull. He is a nice bull but he by far isn't the best bull we have, I would put him in the middle of the pack of calves this year. He does for sure look like a bull for his age he is already showing some crest so he is going to be very masculine.

gizmom

gizmom":2pifxzx5 said:
Thanks all overall it is really a nice group of calves. The calf in the third picture is a ET calf out of Right Time one of my favorite EXT sons. I am going to be 100% honest he isn't one of my favorite calves, I don't like the way he drops off from hooks to pins, I just like to see a level rump on a bull. He is a nice bull but he by far isn't the best bull we have, I would put him in the middle of the pack of calves this year. He does for sure look like a bull for his age he is already showing some crest so he is going to be very masculine.

gizmom

Sounds like we need some more pictures then.

Gizmom,
We weaned 44 today, took them to the barn.. God bless the people that live on that road this week between you and us.

Gizmom, what are the spacing of those rails and how high are the top of the top rail?

Knersie

I can't remember the spacing I asked the boss and he couldn't either. I will get you a measurement if you want. We did this a couple of years ago and our memories are not what they once were. I know he worried over the spacing a bunch but we are very happy with the results. We still have one pen to do to have them 100% complete but you know how that goes right now they are working fine and finding the time to get back on the project just hasn't happened. He did finally get water run to each of the holding pens so that has been a big plus especially when we want to get some up a day ahead to ship.

gizmom

Sky

We lucked out we have a guy that is a state contractor for installing the new ones that has a place about 20 miles north of us. He sells the used stuff so he is close and always has a good inventory of pieces. The boss took the alum. post that they used and welded them together to get it high enough and used those on most of the pens. He had to use some wood post because he ran out of the metal, but he used the wood only on the runs dividing the pens with the rails bolted to the wood post. All the main fence is the metal and the rails are welded to the post, he said when he was building the pens he didn't want to ever have to rebuild them and I don't think he will have to. They are stout for sure. Our old pens were falling apart so we had to do something, it got where you couldn't put cattle in them without worrying about a post breaking off in the ground if pressured. I still haven't got the measurements but have a fella coming to look at bulls this afternoon so hopefully will remember to get them today.

gizmom

We have been getting the calves bunk broke, today all but a couple came up to the feed pen so were getting close. Next Wednesday were scheduled to split the bulls from the heifers. We have caught three or four of the heifers bulling so we have decided to add a shot of lute when we split them. I hate having to do it but I think we would hate it more if we ended up with one trying to calve out at 10 to 12 months.

I think next year we may need to add another bunk.

Kinda funny seeing them try to squeeze in, one just decided to jump into the bunk to get out of the crowd.

P.s. Forgot to get the measurements on the guardrail I haven't forgotten just forgot a tape measure.

gizmom

Latest posts