weaning calves

Help Support CattleToday:

cedarview farms

Reaction score
After weaning the calves can you put them back in the same pasture as the mother or do you have to put them in a whole new pasture?

We wean/background them for 45-60 days (whichever is most convenient) then the retained heaifers go right bakc into the cow herd.

So basically you are saying that you can put the calf back into the same herd as the mother. right?

I do the same thing as Dun. However, after they are backgrounded the heifers go to the heifer pasture and the bulls to the young bull pasture. I like to keep my young cattle together until they are breeding age. Then they go to the appropriate breeding pasture.

The culls or commercial cattle are backgrounded thrown into a pasture and then sold under a re-purchase agreement when they reach an appropriate weight.

Bonsman":29repcx4 said:
I do the same thing as Dun. However, after they are backgrounded the heifers go to the heifer pasture and the bulls to the young bull pasture. I like to keep my young cattle together until they are breeding age. Then they go to the appropriate breeding pasture.

The culls or commercial cattle are backgrounded thrown into a pasture and then sold under a re-purchase agreement when they reach an appropriate weight.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what is considered breeding age? If you have young bulls in with heifers wouldn't their be concern of early maturing animals? Unless we are talking steers? Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying?

Puberty is affected by age, breed, and weight. Generally, heifers need to be about 65% of their mature weight before they will cycle.
This is why heifers born late in the breeding season should be considered for the cull list because they are less likely to reach maturity by next year's breeding season.

cedarview farms":1wxkcnl6 said:
After weaning the calves can you put them back in the same pasture as the mother or do you have to put them in a whole new pasture?

You might want to read this thread in its entirety - not all of us agree with that 45-60 day time limit

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55100&p=634424&hilit=+How+long+after+weaning+can+I+put+calves+back+with+mothers%3F+#p634424

You can ignore the spat - someone took offense to my thoughts - which by the way are valid and need to be considered as a short search will find a huge number of "How do I stop my weaned/yearling calves from sucking" questions.

Space and time - once they start sucking again it is a pain in the @ss to stop them and those various tools become a requirement - meaning extra time and money and frustration if you do not have the infrastructure to man handle the animals - do it right the first time and usually (but not always) it does not happen that they suck after weaning - a real bad thing.

Keep them apart for as long as you can - I often - not always - but often wait until the cow has her next calf on her - and yeah - that means a year - and yeah, you will still get suckers - we ship them asap - no mercy - it can cause major grief.

If the link does not work just copy and paste the whole thing into the top bar.

By the way - that phone number is not working right now - however it will be when I return to Tiberias from the Area of Separation 12 June. You will understand when you read that specific post.

Regards

Bez+

Latest posts