Weaning Calf Question

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":5bax2eyx said:
TexasBred":5bax2eyx said:
I've heard the burned out comments a dozen times....I was asking about the negatives from not weaning by the signs. A serious question !!

My first and foremost concern would be stress. Since I don't do it the other way, can't tell you.

Everyone posts on here about problems they have with calves going back to cows and such. I don't experience it.
We don;t either and usually the retained heifers are back with the bred cows after about 45 days.

dun":3mch2ygr said:
backhoeboogie":3mch2ygr said:
TexasBred":3mch2ygr said:
I've heard the burned out comments a dozen times....I was asking about the negatives from not weaning by the signs. A serious question !!

My first and foremost concern would be stress. Since I don't do it the other way, can't tell you.

Everyone posts on here about problems they have with calves going back to cows and such. I don't experience it.
We don;t either and usually the retained heifers are back with the bred cows after about 45 days.
Never had it either but weaned calves were relocated to their own pasture with heifer grower available all the time. 45 days the cow should be dried up and ready for a couple more months of relaxation. Guess I've just never been sold on signs. Some wean and cut by signs and swear it works for them and that's fine...the remainder do it totally different and experience the same good results.

backhoeboogie":wl580ks4 said:
I'll stick to the old farmer's almanac.

Your right....I notice they give recommended days for breeding as well....guess that mostly rules out recommended calving times . :lol2:

TexasBred":16eozs92 said:
backhoeboogie":16eozs92 said:
I'll stick to the old farmer's almanac.

Your right....I notice they give recommended days for breeding as well....guess that mostly rules out recommended calving times . :lol2:

The bulls and I have had a talk about it. Not sure how much good it did.

Bull just went home this morning and everything is finally back to normal. It has been a crazy 3 weeks. On a side note i have my second delivery of purebred beefmaster girls today. pretty stoked about it.

If heifers are only 6 months, you should be fine. Most aren't developed enough when that young.

M5farm":376fdslp said:
Don't be surprised if 1 or 2 gets knocked up. It only takes one time.

Yep. And the flip side rant is that one can turn a healthy bull in with 20 healthy heifers with the attitude of "have at it," and 5 or 6 won't get bred. It's weird how things work. :???:

Rniemann":1x5twdhn said:
If heifers are only 6 months, you should be fine. Most aren't developed enough when that young.

Don't know about your heifers but with Gelbvieh's we assume that they are cycling for sure by 6 months and treat them accordingly. Hillsdown posted on here the other day that she had seen several of her 5 month old heifers bred by her young bulls that weren't even weaned yet.

3waycross":273wthzl said:
Rniemann":273wthzl said:

Don't know about your heifers but with Gelbvieh's we assume that they are cycling for sure by 6 months and treat them accordingly. Hillsdown posted on here the other day that she had seen several of her 5 month old heifers bred by her young bulls that weren't even weaned yet.

Would the younger bulls that were similar in age to the young heifer calves be more likely to breed them than the older, much bigger herd bull, or does that make any difference?

herofan":3t8nz2wx said:
3waycross":3t8nz2wx said:
Rniemann":3t8nz2wx said:

Would the younger bulls that were similar in age to the young heifer calves be more likely to breed them than the older, much bigger herd bull, or does that make any difference?

I actually think they would. They are more athletic and have more energy.

Latest posts