Weaning Calf Question

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle

Reaction score
A Buddy Of Mine Needs A Place To Wean His Bull Calf So I Told Him He Could Bring It Over. Well He Did and he just dumped him in the pasture with our new heifers. We have good fences.. however will he stay? We watched him for about an hour after being dropped off walk the fence and ball. Should we be concerned? How long will he ball and will he join our heifers? He seemed to have no interest hanging out with them. (I originaly wanted my buddy to drop him off in our pens.)

That's one of those, maybe he will and maybe he won;t. Only thing to do is wait and see. He's probaby better off with your ehifers then in a pen by himself.

My new heifers are only 6 months old. He is 6 months old himself. We are just keeping him in here for the week until he gets finished with his pens this week. He will be gone early next week. Should i be worried? He hasnt shown any interest in even greeting them. Hes got a crush on the fence and the clouds.

I sold a bull this year that we have now found out to have bred 2 cows at my buddy's place last fall. He was 7months when he bred the first one!

too big a risk for me to just have him thrown out there with some heifers . As dun said, maybe he will and maybe he wont. I would treat him like I wean any of my cattle, 3 weeks put up in a corral before letting him out to roam.

Limomike":1ceg7kom said:
too big a risk for me to just have him thrown out there with some heifers . As dun said, maybe he will and maybe he wont. I would treat him like I wean any of my cattle, 3 weeks put up in a corral before letting him out to roam.

Kinda upset about it. Just came back inside. Went out and penned him up with one of the older bred heifers we purchased. Yall are right to big of risk. Penned her with him for company and shes already bred.

TexasBred":fy3vebtc said:
backhoeboogie":fy3vebtc said:
Sorry buddy but I don't put much faith in astrology, nor time to wait on the moon. What are the negatives??

We can disagree. No problem.

The negatives? Sounds like one guy does not have the facilities to handle his operation. It has gone on long enough that his calf has reached weaning age but he is just now getting around to doing something about it. He has put the animal at a friends place and placed his friends animals at risk. His friend, being a friend, is trying to help.

Maybe his pens got burned out in a brush fire. I have been completely burned out and lost all barns too. So lets give him the benefit of the doubt.

But the negative is we have someone with out adequate facilities, in our hobby business, again.

You can probably list a few more yourself.

backhoeboogie":2xnlifsb said:
TexasBred":2xnlifsb said:
backhoeboogie":2xnlifsb said:
Sorry buddy but I don't put much faith in astrology, nor time to wait on the moon. What are the negatives??

We can disagree. No problem.

The negatives? Sounds like one guy does not have the facilities to handle his operation. It has gone on long enough that his calf has reached weaning age but he is just now getting around to doing something about it. He has put the animal at a friends place and placed his friends animals at risk. His friend, being a friend, is trying to help.

Maybe his pens got burned out in a brush fire. I have been completely burned out and lost all barns too. So lets give him the benefit of the doubt.

But the negative is we have someone with out adequate facilities, in our hobby business, again.

You can probably list a few more yourself.
I've heard the burned out comments a dozen times....I was asking about the negatives from not weaning by the signs. A serious question !!

As close as we come to following the signs is no knife cutting or dehorning when the moon is on the increase or full. Other then that we wean when it's convenient for us. Never have seen any adverse affect from it.

TexasBred":3nao9n0s said:
I've heard the burned out comments a dozen times....I was asking about the negatives from not weaning by the signs. A serious question !!

My first and foremost concern would be stress. Since I don't do it the other way, can't tell you.

Everyone posts on here about problems they have with calves going back to cows and such. I don't experience it.

Latest posts