Weaning Bottle Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
I have two holstein bottle calves that are approximately 2-2 1/2 months old. I am starting to wean them, they are eating good amounts of grain and some hay.

My question is why are bottle calves weaned so much earlier than calves on the cow? I am sure one factor is the price of milk replacer. My vet told me that calves rumens don't fully develop until they are about 4 months old. So if we take milk replacer away before 4 months of age and feed only grain, hay and grass, then how can they be getting all the protein they need. I am assuming this be why bottle calves are not as productive as calves on cows?

I know this is a silly question, but it has been nagging me for a while and as my calves were twins (not to each other) and were small, one was 62 lbs at about 1 wk old and the other was 74 lbs at about 1 wk, I have been debating on wether or not to wean them now or give them another month with replacer. They are only around 100 lbs each right now.

Opinions and advice are welcome as usual.

i always kept calves on the bottle 3 months even with 2 bottles a day they was eating 4 to 6lbs of grain and i never weaned them till they was consuming 4lbs of grain a day scott

I only keep bottle babies on MR until the start eating grain and grass pretty well. Then again I don't keep em either as usually by the time I realize they need the bottle they have already been stunted.

I say if you can afford it and want to, keep em on it. Prolly looks pretty stupid to have a 500 pound calf nursing though. Although I did see an seven year old boy nursing his mom once. I couldn't stand it so I had to ask his dad what's up? Their theory was he will wean himself. :shock:

Not cattle related but true and sickening. Any quesses as to what state they were from?

you're right, it is cheaper & easier to feed them grain & hay or grass & they will grow just as good. there is also less chance of a digestive upset on grain & hay

I grew up on a dairy. Bucket babies got milk for 2 months. Then weaned cold turkey. Never any problems with them not being as productive. As long as you supplement with the proper feed there should be no problems.

We generally wean our bottle calves later than what the others have suggested.. 3-4 months. Maybe it's just our perspective, but we always thought the calves turned out better on replacer longer. I still have most of them in the breeding herd. The cost of replacer has seemed like the biggest reason for weaning early.

TheBullLady":3l212tmr said:
We generally wean our bottle calves later than what the others have suggested.. 3-4 months. Maybe it's just our perspective, but we always thought the calves turned out better on replacer longer. I still have most of them in the breeding herd. The cost of replacer has seemed like the biggest reason for weaning early.

Cost of replacer is not my main reason. My main reason is from my experience beef bottle babies don't grow off as well, it takes too much time, someone always gets attached to them. :shock:

TheBullLady":31mdati2 said:
Bull Lady, We do ther same as you. If you keep them on the Milk replacer and get them going with a good Calf Starter, you'll have a quality Calf, that will do much better than one weaned at 2 months or less. You get what you put into them. We bought a couple at the sale, on Monday, good sturdy Calves, and the prices were off a little so we grabbed them. Keeps the kids busy too.

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I think I will keep mine on replacer for at least another month or so. They are looking very good and I would like to keep them that way. I was just confused with all the info I have read. Searched the site and really only read about the problems with bottle calves, not growing off well, rumen not developing properly, etc. and I just got to thinking that maybe some of these problems were related to weaning too early.

Thanks everyone for the confidence boost and letting me know I am not off my rocker yet.

When weaning I start adding a little of the milk replacer dry in their grain. I think this helps them get through the process faster.

four to six weeks here, and feed a very good calf starter, not all ar the same! plus add dry RP to the grain as well, near as good as gettin the bottle.

As far as weaning humans......................I am still not weaned off, and No 1 is darn sure happy I am not......at times anyway............(is that a bad thing I just typed?) :oops:

Medic24":suwwvrm4 said:
four to six weeks here, and feed a very good calf starter, not all ar the same! plus add dry RP to the grain as well, near as good as gettin the bottle.

As far as weaning humans......................I am still not weaned off, and No 1 is darn sure happy I am not......at times anyway............(is that a bad thing I just typed?) :oops:
Medic, that altitude is affecting you again.

Medic24":1exzl9zb said:

Somebody (not naming names here) sound a little amorous to me! ;-)

Latest posts