Weaning a calf so she doesn't get bred.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bar E

Reaction score
I have a hereford heifer calf born a few days before Christmas. I'm going to turn the bull out in June, I was wondering if I should wean her and get her away from the bull as she'll be 6 months old by then and I would absolutely hate to see her get "knocked up". Or will she hit puberty after the bull has been pulled? TIA.
-E

I usually pull my calves at 6 months . I like to give my cows a rest before calving again .if you plan to keep her just feed her until you pull the bull and throw her back in with the cows .

We wean around 6 months (give or take) and now pull the bulls a minimum of a month prior to weaning, at which time all heifers get a shot of Lute. Haven't had an oops baby since - which means we averaged one a year prior. They absolutely can hit puberty before 6 months. Wean her before you turn out the bull.

If it's feasible for you and you know when momma is in heat, just get momma bred and you could still keep the calf on the cow for a while longer if you want

I try to wean heifer calves & calves on 1st time heifers by 6 months. which normally works, but one got bred before that, this year. I believe you will have more chance of heifer that will try to suck later if you leave them on too long

jerry27150":2hyyab02 said:
I try to wean heifer calves & calves on 1st time heifers by 6 months. which normally works, but one got bred before that, this year. I believe you will have more chance of heifer that will try to suck later if you leave them on too long

We usually wean around 6 months give or take, depending. If you're trying to get another month or so on her, you can always lutalyse her once she's weaned and after the exposure window. If she's a purebred, they usually reach puberty a little bit later than a hybrid. Our stuff that has come up bred are almost always our hybrid heifers.

Latest posts