weaning a 7 mo.old heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

shaboomx

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old heifer I am wanting to wean..only she has other ideas. I only have 4 cows and a bull . I've tried taking her away from the mom but she can clear a 5 foot fence with ease. I've tried putting electric wire around the fence and she still jumps. Once out with the others she is fine but she need to be weaned. The cow is due to calve in Oct.or Nov. Any ideas what to do with her other than entering her in a fence jumping contest? She'd win for sure. She is a very nice heifer and I wanted to keep her to breed later on. I've even put another cow in with her for company but she still jumps. If I lock the mother up instead of her what are the chances she would jump back into the pen?
Help!!

There is a device you can buy at the local farm store
that fits in her nose but prevents her from nursing.
I forget what it's called, but it allows her to be with
her dam but interferes with nursing. I used one last
year with good results....until she hung it up on a fence
and ripped it out.

If she's that much of a jumper I forsee nothing but problems downstream with keeping. The only thing I can think of would be to haul her to someones elses place for a couple of months, or haul the cow somewhere instead.

Once a jumper always a jumper. By not having proper facilities you have actually taught her she can do what she wants.

that entertainment alright....but I like it better when a cow gets mad and goes after the ring help....now THATS entertainment...

I definitely agree..........ONCE A JUMPER ALWAYS A JUMPER.........ONCE A CRAWLER ALWAYS A CRAWLER.

But another idea comes to mind on possibly weaning her.....if she is ok with the other cows - pen her mother in the opposite pasture?...?...?...?

Thanks to everyone and their opinions...I hauled her to my friends 56 miles away yesterday evening....If she is back tonight...she goes to the sale. :lol: