Weaned!

Help Support CattleToday:

marksmu

Reaction score
We finally pulled our calves off the cows this weekend.....took most of the advice given from the board. We are weaning in the corral in the same pasture as the mommas.....only 2 of the moms were bawling - but I honestly think they were bawling because the cubes and feed were on the other side of the gate that they were not in.

All in all I would say it is going smoothly, since we dont live on the ranch, my partner and I are swapping every other night of staying there to keep an eye on them...The calves are feeding on they hay, and the moms are finally getting some alone time without halving to nurse some 9 month old heifers.

Ill post up some pics of it later - first time we have worked the cows using horses...all I have to say about that is that a horse, is MUCH better than a 4-wheeler or side x side. Now, Im going to have to move somewhere in town I can get horses b/c they may just become a second hobby.

Glad to hear it went well, and sometimes a horse is the best man for the job. But you think cows are born looking for a way to get sick or hurt... :roll:

marksmu":27spna7d said:
We finally pulled our calves off the cows this weekend.....took most of the advice given from the board. We are weaning in the corral in the same pasture as the mommas.....only 2 of the moms were bawling - but I honestly think they were bawling because the cubes and feed were on the other side of the gate that they were not in.

All in all I would say it is going smoothly, since we dont live on the ranch, my partner and I are swapping every other night of staying there to keep an eye on them...The calves are feeding on they hay, and the moms are finally getting some alone time without halving to nurse some 9 month old heifers.

Ill post up some pics of it later - first time we have worked the cows using horses...all I have to say about that is that a horse, is MUCH better than a 4-wheeler or side x side. Now, Im going to have to move somewhere in town I can get horses b/c they may just become a second hobby.

Wow that is dedication. I do not sit there all night. I just put em in the pen with feed and water and hay and check em twice a day.

Sounds like it is going well, congrats ..I am a huge fan of fenceline weening. It works great and is less stressful on the calves and cows.

I don't stay with mine either I check them first thing in the morn. and then before dark.. Haven't had a problem yet (touch wood).

The only time I am up all night with them is calving in sub zero temps or when something is running through the calves and causing illness when they are really young..(which thankfully does not happen often) I am a huge fan of sleep.. :lol:

Good luck though I hope it all goes well, would like to see pics of your heifers too.

Nothing wrong with being cautious and being there all night the first time through weaning. As you get more comfortable with your operation you will decide what is needed and where you need to spend your time and effort. Ignore some of the "advice" you get here and pick what you can use and works for you. If you had written on the forum that you had weaned the calves and you had both left and a problem developed the same board members would have come down on you like a load of bricks saying you should have had someone around and you could have prevented any problems. I know when I first started it took time to decide where my efforts produced the greatest returns, so keep up the good work and good luck. JMHO

kerley":2vbrr7lk said:
S&W. You sound like a real successful rancher.

I am I havent lost a calf in over 4 years knock on wood. I sell my calves private treaty and they go for top dollar. You could say Im a pretty successful rancher.

FWIW Jalopy I live on my ranch, so I am here always,,,which btw Mark knows as well, so do not lump me in with other posts..

WTF is with you people lately..Good God..

AND as for a 5000 dollar flush cow, that is not an unusual price to pay, except that it is a little low ...

HD I am sorry if you took offense none was intended. I know that you are dedicated and that you put the effort in with your cattle. I was just trying to even out the comments for the OP. I am sure we all remember the first years where we put in the extra effort and time until we decided what worked for our operations. Again I did not mean to offend you HD.

Jalopy I was not offended ,I just didn't my post interpreted wrong.. Ask anyone on here ,,I seem to fret and worry about my girls more than most .. :help:

I am sorry to offend you as well,, apologies for both please. Accepted from here.. :)

Some pics of working them....we didnt decide to take the camera out until we let all the cows out, and just had the calves.

Getting them in:
10718_162584117448_576027448_2715208_7690968_n.jpg

The calves
10718_162584167448_576027448_2715217_7936280_n.jpg

Done
10718_162584177448_576027448_2715219_5724155_n.jpg

I agree with HD!

Your calves look good... nice and shiny! Whatever they're eating is certainly doing them well,
are they getting some kind of supplement?

good job!!

Thanks for the compliments....to answer some questions...these calves have just been on an improved bahia pasture all summer...pasture and their mommas...the shiny coats could be because of how late I am weaning them...all 41 in our herd get one (1) 50lb bag of range cubes every week just to keep them friendly, otherwise no supplements. I do usually spray them down with permethin when the mosquitoes get unbearable, otherwise they have had no other inputs.

As to the breed - I dont really know exactly what they technically "are" they were advertised Brangus - Some have got some hereford in them...some were Angus bred to Brangus, some were Brangus back to Brangus, and some were Red Angus back to black Brangus....I still call em Brangus, but only the bull and 2 of the cows are registered....who knows what else could be in them....I had looked for a long time, they appeared healthy, were checked healthy, and the price was right. So far they have turned out to be pretty easy keepers.

So, ya, I dont really know what they are, except they have been pretty good to me. Here is a photo of the pasture they have been on.

10628_163914787448_576027448_2729534_2214468_n.jpg

New Question -

We quit staying out there with these calves while they are pen weaning...check on them yesterday (19 calves) and they had eaten a 1200lb roll of hay in less than 3 days....is that typical consumption for weaning calves, or does that seem a bit high? Its a little over 21 lbs of hay per calf per day. I thought it seemed high, I was actually surprised when I got there last night, and the hay ring was 99% empty. I dropped a new one in, and they immediately went to town eating on it.

What is a typical hay consumption for a weaning calf, on hay only. I am supplementing 50lbs of 12% protein feed 2x a week as well.

Thanks!

Latest posts