Weaned hfr calf sudden death

Help Support CattleToday:

basincreek

Reaction score
I just lost a weanded hfr calf this morning.
After looking at things it looked like her rectum totally blew out and her tail was broke at the head as well.
It wasnt a predator, but could this be coccidiosis??

any help would be appreciated

Send a piece of meat for analysis, even if its just to make sure it isn't Clostridial related.

thats what I was thinking, we had a bull that raped our hereford cow she just had a 2 month old calf and we took her out to get bred and that bull actually bred her so much before we found her that he pulverized her anus so much so that she was bleeding her whole rectum was hanging out and she would not get up. we eventually got her up she couldn't hardly walk from a hip injury from the incident. we had the vet out and he gave meds but we had to end up killing her it was a gross and very sad day, i think she was to short for the bull and he got it in the wrong place and he didnt or couldnt tell the difference and he just kept giving it to her. I never seen anything like it before and never want to see it again.

I agree with Dun, also have you considered perforated ulcer ?

Get her posted as Knersie suggested ,then you will know for sure.

I highly doubt it was form a rectal injury as it takes alot to perforate/damage the rectum on a cow because of insertion such a bulls penis.

Thanks for the respones

It wasn't an anal raping. It looks like it is coccidiosis and I am treating all the other calves as well. I actually
lost 5 since the first post. The first hfr that died did have an eagle eating the anal region.

On the 'anal raping' thing...I've never seen that, and agree, that it would be very unusual for that to happen.
But - I do see, on a fairly regular basis, young pubertal heifers served by a large aggressive bull, with perforation of the vaginal fornix, resulting in peritonitis due to ejaculation into the abdominal cavity(semen is noted for inducing an intense inflammatory reaction when it gets places it's not supposed to be), and access of vaginal bacterial flora to the abdominal cavity.
I've seen enough of these, that we breed virgin heifers only by AI, and don't let them go to the current herd bull until after their first calf. If I had a smaller, young natural service sire, I'd let him have a go at the 1st-time heifers, but not the big bull.

basincreek":3bptyazz said:
Thanks for the respones

It wasn't an anal raping. It looks like it is coccidiosis and I am treating all the other calves as well. I actually
lost 5 since the first post. The first hfr that died did have an eagle eating the anal region.

Coccidiosis causes loose stool - how would that blow out a rectum? And a broke tail? You may have coccidiosis, but it sure seems like that would be the least of the problems. Did all 5 have blown rectums and broke tails? Coccidiosis can kill cattle, but they don't usually just drop dead in the field from it - especially with blown rectums and broke tails!

Severe coccidiosis causes the animal to "push" constantly
It makes the rectum widen, so you can look into it like a cave. On cold days steam flows out of it.
And it makes the tail look broken- not sure if it really is