Weaned Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
I've got a steer and a heifer in the lot that are being fed out, they have been weaned since first of December.
A few days ago I rotated the cows to the paddock next to the lot, the heifer I have on feed got out and went back to her mama but wasn't trying to suck. I got them sorted back out and put the feeders in the corral so she couldn't get back to her mama, yesterday evening when I rotated the cows to a pasture where this heifer couldn't see her mama she started trying to tear down the corral to get to her and she's not eating as much feed. She acts like she was just weaned all over again. Anyone ever had a similar experience? Her mama calved about an hour after I moved them yesterday, could that have anything to do with how she's acting?

my first question is how sure are you that the heifer did not suck on the cow? If you are sure she didn't suck, it sounds like the heifer may be coming into heat. I have had a calf that was weaned for a few months get back with the cows and did see it suck on it's mom.

my first question is how sure are you that the heifer did not suck on the cow? If you are sure she didn't suck, it sounds like the heifer may be coming into heat. I have had a calf that was weaned for a few months get back with the cows and did see it suck on it's mom.
I thought about her being in heat but I'd think the steer would be riding her if she was. I'm pretty sure she didn't suck her mama, she wasn't in with her long and the cow still had a bag full of milk. Also hair on bag wasn't wet and heifer didn't have milk mouth. This is why I prefer feeding steers, they're easy as long as they have feed they're happy. Only reason I decided to feed this heifer was because she had some spots but was too nice built to sell for spotted price.

Ya'll this is the heifer from hell, came home a few days ago and found her with the cows again. She stretched the wire enough on a 6 strand barb wire fence that she walked out of it and then through another 4 strand cross fence to get back to the cows.. The bottom 5 strands on the 6 strand are only 6" apart and were tight before she worked a number on it. I rotated the cows yesterday which was about 2 days early so I could have them in a paddock next to the lot so I can try to get them up and sort her back off this evening. Her kill date is May 27, I can't wait. I guess I'm going to have to keep her in the welded wire panel corral until then or she's going to continue to get out, only reason I didn't do that to start with is the corral is so muddy. I've never seen one weaned this long want to be with her mama so bad. When I first weaned them she stuck her head through the D ring leg on the bottom of a corral panel and got stuck and I had to saw her out, should've sent her to the sale barn then and cut my losses.

Latest posts