Weaned calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Snapped a pic of this year's weaned spring calves. They're growing well. I've worked them up to about 7#/hd of feed. The weather has been really dry so far, and feeding has been a pleasant job. Weaned them at the start of Nov and will probably feed them until mid to late January.

That's a nice picture Lazy M. I hope they keep on gaining for you. I weaned the middle of October. Gave vaccinations Wednesday and they're sick as dogs today. Some running a high fever with a stiff walk. I've talked to my vet twice today. He thinks it's Haemophilus Somnus. Said there have been some death losses in calves from it recently. I've been doctoring my sick ones today and probably tomorrow and Monday. Hope I don't end up having to treat the whole group. Lots of $$$ in antibiotics. Anyway-congrats on a nice even looking group of calves.

Chocolate Cow":1f0tneo6 said:
That's a nice picture Lazy M. I hope they keep on gaining for you. I weaned the middle of October. Gave vaccinations Wednesday and they're sick as dogs today. Some running a high fever with a stiff walk. I've talked to my vet twice today. He thinks it's Haemophilus Somnus. Said there have been some death losses in calves from it recently. I've been doctoring my sick ones today and probably tomorrow and Monday. Hope I don't end up having to treat the whole group. Lots of $$$ in antibiotics. Anyway-congrats on a nice even looking group of calves.
That's awful. Hope they clear up for you!

If they were already weaned 60 days,sounds like something done wednesday,stressed them bad,or may have contributed to the problems?Any thing out of the ordinary happen?Best of luck,sounds like you're staying right on top of them.Had they been vac once earlier and you were giving booster shots?

Chocolate Cow":sflp7bep said:
I had to look it up. Yikes! Good luck and keep us updated!

LDEnterprises":3qdkqbsf said:
Great looking group of weaners! Have you weighed them lately?
Thanks. Don't have scales to weigh them. I'd say that they avg around 6-650 now. Hope to get them up to 7-750.

Charx cows can raise some big calves no doubt. Around here you just have to hope that the extra pounds make up for the dock.

Lazy M.

Great job. Those foothills in the background! I didn't know Madison County was that close to the eastern Kentucky foothills. You are a bonifide hillbilly.

This was a booster. We are wondering if it's coming in with migratory birds. Lots of blackbirds and starlings. I'm having one heck of a time keeping them away from my distillers grain.

Anyway- that picture of Lazy M's is real easy on the eyes. It's peaceful.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":30h44hnf said:
Great looking group of heifers. Where were you? On top of another building? You sure look like you were HIGH!
I was on top of the grain bin

Latest posts