weaned calves sucking on each other

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have bottle feed calves we have weaned. It is going on 4 months and there is one calf that some of the other calves suck on. It really brings him down. We spray iodine on him but that doesn't stop them. We have kept him away from the rest for several weeks now and kicked him back out with the others. They still suck on him. Does anyone have any tricks we can use?

[email protected]

There is a type of nose tong you can put in the other calves' noses that pokes, it will cause him to kick and prevent the nursing, if it is male calf I would not worry too much, but if it is a heifer, it can cause mastitis and cause problems for her as an adult.

[email protected]

If it is an ear sucker it's no big deal, but come winter it can be awfully hard on the other calves with frozen ears. If it is a scrotum or pee sucker my solution always was to send them down the road. We were never able to break them of it.

dunmovin farms

> We have bottle feed calves we have
> weaned. It is going on 4 months
> and there is one calf that some of
> the other calves suck on. It
> really brings him down. We spray
> iodine on him but that doesn't
> stop them. We have kept him away
> from the rest for several weeks
> now and kicked him back out with
> the others. They still suck on
> him. Does anyone have any tricks
> we can use?

Is there any damage that can be done if it is sucking the scrotum? I've had it happen before but never noticed any injury. The one calf just finally got tired of it and started kicking it off.
> If it is an ear sucker it's no big
> deal, but come winter it can be
> awfully hard on the other calves
> with frozen ears. If it is a
> scrotum or pee sucker my solution
> always was to send them down the
> road. We were never able to break
> them of it.

> dunmovin farms

[email protected]

No more so then ear sucking for the same reasons. It can cause problems when they are cut if not already done.

dunmovin farms

> Is there any damage that can be
> done if it is sucking the scrotum?
> I've had it happen before but
> never noticed any injury. The one
> calf just finally got tired of it
> and started kicking it off.