weaned bull frothing

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
did a search on this but didn't find anything. I have a 5 mo bull calf (now steer) frothing at the mouth. I banded him after a couple shots of tetanus toxoid. he'd been eating well but has seemed lethargic . . . now the froth. he's on creep feed with free choice hay (alphalfa) since he was an "early weaning". thoughts?

Do a search on "foam" + "Mouth" limited to the health board and it'll pull up things for you. Too many things it could be. You need to get a temp on him to rule in or out an infection. It could be nothing, or it could be dead soon. Can you give us more information? Do you notice any other symptoms?

angie":1cqaqu3f said:
Do a search on "foam" + "Mouth" limited to the health board and it'll pull up things for you. Too many things it could be. You need to get a temp on him to rule in or out an infection. It could be nothing, or it could be dead soon. Can you give us more information? Do you notice any other symptoms?

Yeah, I did that search and found one about a 6 wk old calf. He's just a tick dopey is all. No other symptoms really. The froth just started today. His disposition hasn't changed for the better or worse. He's in the process of castration (banding) and has had his first round of vaccinations. I'll get a temp. In all reality, it's probably nothing. With my LUCK it'll be dead soon :???:

Get a temp on him right away. Check to make sure he is not swollen below the band, below the band should be starting to shrivel.
Lethargic and frothing at the mouth is not good.

Larry

larryshoat":29scw5rn said:
Get a temp on him right away. Check to make sure he is not swollen below the band, below the band should be starting to shrivel.
Lethargic and frothing at the mouth is not good.

Larry

No swelling below or above. Testicles are definitely shriveling.

dun":2s05qk6z said:
What have your day and night temperatures been?

DUN, I read a comment you made on another thread (the one about the young calf frothing) regarding day/night temp differences and I think you may be on to something - that's exactly what's happening here right now. Daytime it can push 80 - nighttime it can drop into the 40s. It's definetly been weird weather for this time of year in MI. The upper half of the state has had freeze warnings.

Any idea what difference that would make?

angus9259":1gss3uk3 said:
dun":1gss3uk3 said:
What have your day and night temperatures been?

DUN, I read a comment you made on another thread (the one about the young calf frothing) regarding day/night temp differences and I think you may be on to something - that's exactly what's happening here right now. Daytime it can push 80 - nighttime it can drop into the 40s. It's definetly been weird weather for this time of year in MI. The upper half of the state has had freeze warnings.

Any idea what difference that would make?
All I was ever able to dream up was that some have a hard time adjusting their thermostat to deal with the extremes.

If he doesn't have a temp, you might be dealing with some kind of "choke"??

maybe something stuck in his throat partially blocking things... JMHO

LazyARanch":2jl2u1m3 said:
If he doesn't have a temp, you might be dealing with some kind of "choke"??

maybe something stuck in his throat partially blocking things... JMHO

Froth was gone this morning. Seems to be eating fine. Temp is fine. Took a small group to the custom butcher in town to fatten - said he wanted that one too. He's gonna give him a shot of Draxxin for safe keeping I guess. The choking this is a good question though - I do remember some froth coming from a young cow who'd gotten an apple stuck down there.

Roadapple":2a6ndusy said:
Always cut up apples if you're feeding them to cows.

Yes. Sadly these were under a tree in the pasture. What needs to get cut is the tree.

Latest posts