weak calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a calf 4 days old that just cant walk good. It is all he can do to stand and eat but he does manage to do it. Any ideas what to do for it. He just wabbles around.It is like he is off balance all the time like a equal librium problem.

A bull calf I had was doing the same thing. I called the vet to late and it died. It was pneumonia. He wasnt gettin enough to eat either. I would call a vet immediately.

bobby22":3duyq1xz said:
yes i belive he is and it looks like she has plenty of milk.

Looking like she has plenty of milk, and actually having plenty of milk can sometimes be two completely different things. Is his belly full, or is he sunk in in front of his hip bones? If sunk in, he's not getting enough milk. Is his mother a heifer or an older cow? What was her condition - overly fat, thin, or about right? Overly fat heifers tend to deposit fat in the udder, which interferes with milk production. I'm thinking a 4 day old calf in July is probably not going to have pneumonia - but stranger things have happened. Have you put the cow in the chute, helped the calf nurse/milked the cow, and made sure she has enough milk? Have you checked to see if he was able to dislodge the plugs in her tits so he could nurse? If so, you might want to call your vet. If not, you might want to do it.

Just because a cow has milk doesn't mean that it is good. Again as msscamp asked how old is the cow? An older cow may no longer provide the proper nutrients for the calf. Phone a vet to have him look at the calf. A vet bill is high but the loss of profit on a calf is worse.

If the calf is in Meigs, then I would call Dr. Moss. I would give you his number but its on my dads cell phone and his phone is dead.
:(

Thanks for all the coments I haven't been able to get on the computer lately. The calf is doing much better now. It was getting enough milk and its mother is a hiefer. I belive it was a penched nerve or something simular to that. His back legs are still a little shaky but he is running and tryng to play. I will keep him and mom up a little while longer just to watch him.

bobby22":s6klukd9 said:
Thanks for all the coments I haven't been able to get on the computer lately. The calf is doing much better now. It was getting enough milk and its mother is a hiefer. I belive it was a penched nerve or something simular to that. His back legs are still a little shaky but he is running and tryng to play. I will keep him and mom up a little while longer just to watch him.

That's good to hear.
Thanks for getting back bobby - so many don't bother.

ALX

cowboyup216":1iti49gy said:
Dr. Moss is a good vet I have used him before. However, if you are not near there I recommend Dr. Patrick Tyree he is the vet I use. He raises cattle himself and does nothing but large animal farm calls. His prices are very reasonable and he gets there as quick as he possibly can.

OFF-TOPIC: I only use Dr. Moss nowadays. I used Dr. Hugh McCamble 2-3 times and he ripped me off one time. I dont use him anymore.

ON-TOPIC: Nice to hear the calf is doing better!

I also use Patrick on my cattle as well, him and my son are pretty good friends. He is the best I have seen. I wouldn't use anybody else.

Latest posts