weak calf HELP ME!

Help Support CattleToday:

horsey gal

Reaction score
I am trying to help a friend with a sick calf and I'm stuck! This is a 2 week old Angus calf who is partially blind and deaf. We think that she didn't get any colostrum and her immune system is down. We gave her antibiotics ,electrolytes,vit.shots, and stomach tubed her.She progressed to drinking out of bottles well,but is too weak in her neck to get up by herself. She could get up and down at 1 week and now can't manage on her own. Is it her equalibrium from being deaf and blind or something else. Has anyone had this problem before and can help me with her? Thanks!

Have you contacted a vet?

We had a calf like that this year. She wouldn't lift her head. Sadly she died 24 hours later. If you have given her all of that without results, call the vet.

I am thinking your friends calf may have more problems like perhaps septicemia meningitis and if that is the case she will just keep deteriorating. How is her naval is it hard ,,does she have a naval infection...What antibiotics and are you continuing treatment. Too many questions for over the internet..

Call the vet, but Im pretty sure he will agree with Bez, so do I. Not only a cost issue, but a moral and humane issue as well. Sorry to hear about your calf, always a sad situation.

Thank you all for your imput on our weak calf! We gave her some more electrolytes and she proceeded to stand up several times today on her own. She also drank from a bottle 3 times today.It seems to be a day to day challenge with her. Our vet recommends the electrolytes for energy, but she is still handicapped with her deafness and her blindness. We will keep on trying our best for her !

How much is she being fed a day, and what is the fat and protein content of the milk replacer?

msscamp":1hx7028g said:
How much is she being fed a day, and what is the fat and protein content of the milk replacer?

Also is it a 100% milk/milk byproduct replacer or does it use soy?

Latest posts