Weak back legs in my BUll

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
Worked cows Sunday and had the bull in with them no issues. Cam back out Tuesday evening and he was limping walking funny with his back legs. When he turns he almost loses his balance and butt drops to the ground. Took him to the vet today and he thinks it is something neurological with his back. When he walks his rear legs go to far forward and when he turns he still stumbles and almost falls. Vet couldn't do anything medically he said so brought him home and put him back in the pen to limit movement. Has anyone seen this before and is he a loss or do they think he might come out of it. Vet said it was either a hole or something he stepped in that tweaked his back or it could be something putting pressure on the spinal column internally pinching it and causing this. He recommended that i send him to the barn. This is a great bull and only 3 years old have had him for just over a year. Makes great calves and don't want to have to lose the investment in him if he can make a comeback. Any ideas or thoughts on my situation.

Terrible situation.
Sounds like all ya can do is watch and wait.

Neighbor had one that lost a LOT of weight couple years back. He seemed very weak and would walk in circles a lot. Never did hear what the problem was, tho I'm sure its different than your issue.

Ended up at the sale barn. Brought a nickel a pound.

If you don't need a bull with your cows right now let him rest for awhile. Had a cow a couple years ago that was having a really difficult time getting her front end up off the ground. I kept her separate for several months and she gradually got better. She is fine now, when I talked to the vet about her the vet thought it was probably a pinched nerve

Had the same thing happen to our herd bull a few years ago about two weeks into the breeding season. He improved a bit after being confined for a few weeks but he always dragged his toes and started losing muscle mass in the hindquarters. So he had to be sold. An injured back in a breeding bull is a bad deal sorry to say.

Had a farmer with reg holsteins and he used an animal chiropractor on her. He had sold her then got her back a year later... lamed up... and he also used the chiropractor when they were going to flush her and got alot better results. There are a couple of vets here that work on alot of horses.

If you are depending on him to get your cows bred soon I think I'd be moving on and look for another bull, he is going to cost you a lot of money if he doesn't get the job done. You should get a reasonable return on him for salvage value. Even if he comes OK I would be worried that his "Shagger's Back" comes back with a bit of work.

Ken

Did your vet test for anaplasmosis? It can cause cattle to stumble or have difficulty walking/uncoordinated movements.

Does he appear to be in pain? Might try Banamine Transdermal, see if it helps.

I feel your pain! I had to sell a beautiful 3 year old bull due to a stifle injury. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Worked cows Sunday and had the bull in with them no issues. Cam back out Tuesday evening and he was limping walking funny with his back legs. When he turns he almost loses his balance and butt drops to the ground. Took him to the vet today and he thinks it is something neurological with his back. When he walks his rear legs go to far forward and when he turns he still stumbles and almost falls. Vet couldn't do anything medically he said so brought him home and put him back in the pen to limit movement. Has anyone seen this before and is he a loss or do they think he might come out of it. Vet said it was either a hole or something he stepped in that tweaked his back or it could be something putting pressure on the spinal column internally pinching it and causing this. He recommended that i send him to the barn. This is a great bull and only 3 years old have had him for just over a year. Makes great calves and don't want to have to lose the investment in him if he can make a comeback. Any ideas or thoughts on my situation.

I had to use our backup vet who is known for being negative about hurt animals since my main vet is in quarantine. I have already started looking at upcoming sales for a new bull luckily he did his job already this spring and everything should be bred back. All his calves dropped in a 30 day window in march. He is a Gardnier Angus Bull and we like them. Looking at the spring sell for them and some others as well. Any recommendations on Good bull producers. I have been shopping around and am not stuck on one ranch or the other as long as he makes good calves. Was looking at Connealy and Stiz but open to all recommendations.

I will try Banamine Transdermal, see if it helps but not holding my breath.

Adam> You may have already resolved your issue with the bull but here is my take on it. As far as your bull goes you are in
an untenable situation and it would appear it is not going to resolve itself in a timely manner if ever. You need to obtain the
use of another bull, either by purchase, rental or good graces. Although I do not use black bulls I know Gardnier to be excellent
quality. Ohlde Angus down at Palmer KS also has a reputation for good stock. I do not have a working relationship with them
as again I do not use black bulls however; what I hear of them is good. Perhaps if you can keep him isolated and with the right
meds you can get him back. I am sorry to say I do not see it as an optimistic situation. I wish you good luck, LVR

Adam> You may have already resolved your issue with the bull but here is my take on it. As far as your bull goes you are in
an untenable situation and it would appear it is not going to resolve itself in a timely manner if ever. You need to obtain the
use of another bull, either by purchase, rental or good graces. Although I do not use black bulls I know Gardnier to be excellent
quality. Ohlde Angus down at Palmer KS also has a reputation for good stock. I do not have a working relationship with them
as again I do not use black bulls however; what I hear of them is good. Perhaps if you can keep him isolated and with the right
meds you can get him back. I am sorry to say I do not see it as an optimistic situation. I wish you good luck, LVR
I aint holding my breath but there is always a chance.

It definitely sounds like spinal cord, the back legs not following his front and when he turns they go straight ahead??? This usually suggests pressure on the spinal cord from a herniated disc or the likes. While he may recover he will be very prone to stirring it up again given the job he has to do on his back legs. Corticosteroids are the drug of choice with relieving these symptoms of spinal trauma. I think you are on the right track by looking elsewhere, sounds like you do buy quality bulls and luckily he has done his job for the year. You can always get him collected before he goes.

Ken

When do you want/need a new bull? I can't say enough good things about my breeder, located in Argonia and Pres of the Chisolm Trial Angus Assoc. First bulls I bought from him, he actually took the time to go through the registrations of my previous bulls, asked what I liked/didn't like, and selected bulls that would not only fit, but improve my operation. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll provide his contact info. It's not Gardnier - and while they have top notch bulls, you're also paying for the name, not just the bloodline. He's also the one that wouldn't accept my check for a replacement bull after one I had for all of 3 weeks was struck by lightning and he occasionally calls, just to check in (and he's currently picking out my next bull).

Latest posts