We prefer Herefords. Looking for another breed to add, ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

QueenSidhe

Reaction score
We currently raise purebred herefords. We like them because they are a very mellow breed as breeds go. We had a herd of 11, but are now down to 6 cattle. They respect the fence line, though we have to use a high-powered electric fencer to keep our bull within the pasture lines (9 jules). All of ours are bucket trained, our bull is halter trained and trained to load into a trailer. We have named most of them (that was my decision, though drives the hubby nutts since they are "meat". LOL However, they all come to their name when called, which is good when one is slow to come down during feeding time or when we are wanting to examine them for any signs of external parasites or illness. Our bull is very mellow for a bull, though he does has his moments. And all of them are trained to responde to our herd dogs (Australian Shepherds and Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd Mix- we have 3).

However, my hubsand is wanting to add another breed to our herd so we can breed hybrids that will have a good taste when it comes to butchering, but also be more hardy and less suspectible (sp?) to illness and disease. We live in Western Washington. Does anyone have any suggestions of another breed with would work well being crossed with Herefords?

We do not was Angus, as they tend to be more aggressive and don't like to respect the fence very well. My husband's family used to raise cattle when he was growing up and had plenty of experience with the Black Angus, which is why he isn't interested in them- though they are a common breed to be crossed with the Herefords where we live. Dexters aren't an option as they are too small to be bred with our bull. Any help with suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Piedmontese. :nod:
Picture added:
49.jpg

CKC1586":mbmp2w36 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":mbmp2w36 said:
CKC1586":mbmp2w36 said:

I wouldnt use em on a herf. To many calving problems.
That has not been our experience...used them on Herefords, Simmental, Char cross and ended up with some very nice calves.

Yours would not be the norm. Everyone I have talked to that has used piedmontese whether on angus, char, limo, herf or whatever, has had to pull several calves out of em.

QueenSidhe":vhg1ueco said:
We do not was Angus, as they tend to be more aggressive and don't like to respect the fence very well.

Agressive Angus that don't respect a fence? Hmmmmm... doesn't sound like the Angus that I have.

CKC1586":3kxi2xkx said:

I wouldnt use em on a herf. To many calving problems.[/quote]
That has not been our experience...used them on Herefords, Simmental, Char cross and ended up with some very nice calves.[/quote]

Yours would not be the norm. Everyone I have talked to that has used piedmontese whether on angus, char, limo, herf or whatever, has had to pull several calves out of em.[/quote]
I disagree with you. "Everyone" that I have "talked" to haven't had any more trouble than with any other breed...
49.jpg

Red Angus makes a very good cross with an added demand at marketing time.

She wouldn't be using piedmont on herf, it would be the other way around. Anyway, she should get shorthorns- they're mellower than mellow.

I will second 2 suggestions you have had here. Gelbvieh cross very well with Hereford and so do Red angus.

If you are looking to change bulls to accomplish this, remember it will always come down to the individual bull of a given breed. Make sure with a herd that size yu get something VERY mellow and easy to work with.

About 30 min after I wrote this it dawned on me that you can have both. Look around for a Gelbvieh breeder in your area and inquire about the possibility of helping you find a RED Balancer bull. That would give you 1/2 hereford, 1/4 Gelbvieh, and 1/4 Red Angus.

You would still get plenty of marbling from the two British breeds and some heterosis and growth from the Gelbvieh.

Red Bull Breeder":2h3nuypg said:
Heck use a Limi.

Have to say, can't agree more. Red limi bull on a Hereford cow will make a good calf that ought to have a heckuva carcass. Running Creek is an acclaimed breeder, and according to one of their guys, that's a real good cross to offer hybrid vigor and make a good carcass. In terms of carcass, not as lean as a pure limi, but not as fat as a hereford. As far as docility, I ain't had problems with limis. And I even have Angus/Limi crosses. :lol2:

Good to hear there is another person on here from Western Washington-I am in Skagit County (specifically Bow). I always throw in my Galloway spurt here, that's what we breed. They are fantastic for our area as they have the extra hair which helps with the rain, wind, and wet we have all the time. They are amazing at feed conversion, every winter we are surprised at how little hay our 30 animals actually eat compared to other breeds. They also are SUPER mellow, I can keep mine in a 2 strand hot wire. We had a couple hereford/shorthorn cross cows that we bred to our bulls a couple years ago and they raised nice calves with LOTS of color.

Galloways come in a variety of colors (we raise whites, but there are also solids-black, red, dun, and belteds-oreo cookie cows) Here is a link to the website, specifically the breeder listings. http://www.americangalloway.com/members_region.php#west
If you are interested, I am going to our Breeder's Meeting and Show in Billings, MT next week and can get you information on what is currently available in the area. We currently have a solid red bull if you are looking for a bull, but don't have any females this year.

Good luck with your herd, whatever breed you end up choosing to use as your cross!

Latest posts