We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

No, I was wondering about the calves on the market reports, the different weight categories for heifers and steers. Just wondered if this was a place like all of our western friends talk about, selling conditioned caalves in pot loads, the whole ring is a scale and they weigh the group, etc. Or if it was like here..you wean your calves at about 6 mos, or whenever they weigh 400-450 lbs, , they are not conditioned, and they sell and are weighed one at a time
Oh yeah. They will sell groups of calves from singles all the way up to 100 or 150 or so.

Most small operators only have 5 to 50 calves at a time. They will sort em by like kind/weight/color etc and gender and sell em in groups. Say a guy has 50 calves. Mixed heifers and bulls/steers. They will sort em up by consignor. Each consignors group of 50 calves could sell in 5 batches. Or 20 batches, depends how mixed up they are.
If they all match up real nice, they will sell one group of heifers and one group of bulls/steers. That's the ticket really!
All the same.
They sell great that way.

Oh yeah. They will sell groups of calves from singles all the way up to 100 or 150 or so.

Most small operators only have 5 to 50 calves at a time. They will sort em by like kind/weight/color etc and gender and sell em in groups. Say a guy has 50 calves. Mixed heifers and bulls/steers. They will sort em up by consignor. Each consignors group of 50 calves could sell in 5 batches. Or 20 batches, depends how mixed up they are.
If they all match up real nice, they will sell one group of heifers and one group of bulls/steers. That's the ticket really!
All the same.
They sell great that way.
So are people there weaning the calves, then feeding...conditioning...them for 90 days or whatever, or are these calves weaned the day you take them to the sale, like we do here? The reason I asked was, looking at the market reports for this barn, the prices were the same or less than they were here that week.

So are people there weaning the calves, then feeding...conditioning...them for 90 days or whatever, or are these calves weaned the day you take them to the sale, like we do here? The reason I asked was, looking at the market reports for this barn, the prices were the same or less than they were here that week.
They don't say on their market report.
Enids report will specify weaned or unweaned. It takes all kinds here..
Lots of people trailer wean.
Lots wean and condition. Ive come to the conclusion I don't have the time or space to wean properly.
I like this report....
A LOT of the lighter calves this time of year are unweaned tho
Screenshot_20211020-212602_Samsung Internet.jpg
It would also be nice if PCS would post sale results of stuff they advertise. Such as those horned cows.
They are hit or miss on market reports

Last edited:
These first 4 groups of steers will most likely sell all in one draft each tomorrow.
The 200 others will be smaller groups..

I'll keep an eye out for some black corriente mamas....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-223051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-223051_Samsung Internet.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 9

Here's an opportunity for someone to make a killing.
Wonder what they are crossed with? And, wonder what they are bred to? if bred to a homo black and homo polled bull, then yeah, the 1st calves will p[ay for the cows, and then some.

80 head of 2-3 year old heifers could only average 600 lbs to fit on a pot.
Really??? You're telling that's a money maker? Looks like a disaster to me!
They look to be more like 700-750 lbs to me. Dunno how many would fit on a cow hauler, though. I am assuming the gross weight would have to be 80000 lbs like all trucks, but have no idea what the empty rig weighs. Depends on the truck, and the size and what the trailer is made of, etc. I would guess.

They look to be more like 700-750 lbs to me. Dunno how many would fit on a cow hauler, though. I am assuming the gross weight would have to be 80000 lbs like all trucks, but have no idea what the empty rig weighs. Depends on the truck, and the size and what the trailer is made of, etc. I would guess.
Pretty standard. A pot~48000

I don't know what a "pot" is. Up here we move cattle wth liners, 63,000lbs at a time.
A pot is what you call a liner. Only difference is the weight they can haul. I think we have some pots that can haul more than 48,000 but I'm not sure. Some have 4 axles.

Latest posts