We may all be missing the boat, by not raising Corrientes!

Help Support CattleToday:

Start doing a true regenerative program and you will take care of the weeds without sprays while building your grass. Red Angus bulls tend to take the horns off (not sure why it doesn't work quite as well with Black Angus.) That breeding will give you heavier calves as well, Only problem is buyers docking for "too much color."

Fence, Waylon was so precise in describing what we are dealing with today There are still a few who can slice a word and paint a picture
in the mind as he and a few others have done. The ability to encourage and motivate the undecided is something we dare not forfeit.
It is imperative that we have access to those who can represent the the near side of truth and justice either by deed, word or song.
I never met Waylon but I was glad to hear that he left on a different flight than Valens and Richardson.
Thank you for the video

Murray> Are you sure that is a brand and not just a tag identifier ? I would think the enclosed W would sluff off and leave a
big bare blob if one were using the symbol shown with a hot iron brand.. Just askin' LVR
Ope!
Somehow r nuther I missed this..

I really dont know. Hes had those bulls about a year now I guess.

Sunuva B!
Sounds like a smokin good time!
Should've let us know earlier tho.....
😂🤣😂🤣

Well, get up 6 or 8 boxes of #8 shot, and 3 or 4 boxes of Downy dryer sheets ( for the gnats), and come on down! You won;t have to spend a dime on food, I guarantee you that. You can shoot on the Corriente pasture where we will be cooking and partying. After the fish fry at lunch, I won't have to do much except watch the temps on the smokers, til about 6 or 7 when I get the butts off and chop them, and get the briskets off and slice them. So, I will get to shoot some Saturday afternoon. It finally quit raining down there Tuesday, and the forecast for this weekend is clear skies, and cooler and drier weather. I think the high Saturday is only gonna be 92, and the humidity is going down to 90% or less! We will send you home with a cooler full of dove breasts, too! Bring your camera and take some pics of the Kudzu, Johnson Grass, and the 104 Corriente cows that are left, too, if they come down around where we are. Never seen anyone at a good ole Ga dove shoot that didn't have a big time!
Well, @MurraysMutts you missed it! 100 lbs of brisket smoked on mesquite. 100 lbs of ribs and 100lbs of butts smoked on hickory. 150 chicken halves smoked on mesquite. 120 lbs of catfish filets deep- fried in peanut oil. Dunno how many fries and hushpuppies. 100 gallon pot of wild game Brunswick stew. A giant washtub of cole slaw for lunch and supper. Home-grown, vine-ripe tomatoes and Vidalia onion. 5 big orange igloo coolers of tea. I think 5,. may have been 4 ...kegs of beer. We fed the 200 hunters, about 40 kids that were helping and about as many parents. Some of the hunters' families came over for supper and the band. And about 18 or 20 of my brothers ( and their old ladies) from a local MC chapter came to supper. They do this every year...ride over about dark.. and pay the $250 each just like they had been hunting all day. They do this because the profits go to the 4H and FFA. Probably 400 people or so totaled.

I even got to shoot some Saturday afternoon after the fish fry. I just shot in the pasture we were in. .didn't go to the dove field.. and got my limit. Started the fires for the stew pot and for the dutch ovens at 4AM, and cooked venison and wild hog sausages and tenderloins for breakfast. Put the stew pot on the fire and put the chicken substitutes ( we used quail, rabbit, squirrel, duck, goose and a wild turkey instead of chicken) in the pot to boil. 10am the boiled game had cooled enough to remove the bones, so we put the pot back on the fire and added the tomatoes, corn, ground venison and wild hog sausage for the stew. Thank God for the kids to stir the stew til it was ready! About 11 AM we started frying the fish and other fixins. The hunters came in to eat from 12 til 1:30 or so. About 1, I started the fires in the smokers for the ribs, butts and chicken, and got them all on by 2. That afternoon til about 6, i just had to watch the temps on the smokers, So I got to shoot a little then. I didnt get to bed til 1 AM Saturday night, so my old a$$ was dragging after 21 hours!! Came home Sunday afternoon with a cooler full of dove, and 2 gallons of stew, and already looking forward to next year!!! :) And no, this has nothing to do with Angus X Corriente crosses! :D

For gards sake, I hope there was cheese!
😂🤣😂

Sounds like a heck of a time! Not only the food but the people too. I bet there is plenty of others who cant wait til next year as well!

I've never been a big shotgunner, or dove eater. (I like the way your friends think from the mc club)
I have heard folks round here just make like nuggets out of the breast. Deep fried goodness I hear...

Sounds like a great turnout for a very good cause!

I have a few corriente cows and looking to buy more.
I love dove. We pick the whole bird,split in half, clean the hearts and gizzards. Mama would roll them in flour , brown them then smother in gravy and then simmer, so good.
I never breasted a dove in my life.
Yep. That is how I learned to cook dove and squirrel.. battered, then simmered in gravy and onions. Rabbit and quail, we just fry up like chicken. How many Corriente are you looking for, Tex?

Around 30 young cows
If I remember correctly, without looking back, you want all solid colored? And wanna breed them to a Brahma? My partner just sold the only solid ones out of those 120...16 of them.. to someone else on here I had a man call me Saturday.... said he had 8 LH. x Corriente cows he wanted to sell. I took the horses over there Sunday to look at them. 2 of them were Corr x Jersey, and one was LH x Jersey. These cows were in the pasture with what looked like a black baldy bull, about 900-1000lbs. None had a calf, or looked like they had just weaned one. One of the jersey crosses is gonna calve any day now. The rest...who knows? Probably from now, til June. One of the Jersey crosses was colored like a Jersey, the only solid one in the bunch. And the ages were heifer to probably 10+ years sold. I offered him $200 a head and $500 for the bull. He says he will just carry them to the sale Thursday.

I looked at your profile and you are in Georgia, correct? If I understand correctly from talking with other people its not that uncommon to run a pair to an acre or two in some parts of Georgia?

I'm speculating here but I'm guessing this pasture is a lot better than maybe your description leads us to believe. It may be not that great for your area, but it sounds like it's pretty darn good compared to what a lot of others on this board may be use to, myself included.

My other question is are they on the same pasture all year long?
@Brute 23 I was down there last weekend, the 9th and 10th. I took my SSH gelding and a gaited mare mule down to leave for the bird hunting season. Saturday we took them and Scott's. dad's TWH , along with 3 of the bird dogs, over to the place. Wanted to see how the mule did with dogs on a lease, as well as get an idea of how many coveys we had. ( We gonna have a LOT of birds this season). The Weds and Thurs before, they had gotten 6 " of rain in those 2 days, and everything had greened back up. But, along the back fence, which borders timber co land that a hunting club had leased, we found a nice, new, double ladder stand someone had put on Scott's land. We took it with us when we went back to the trucks for lunch, then went back with a bag of felt washers to put out in the poacher's tire tracks, and fixed the fence he had been climbing over. Shot a half dozen fox squirrels for supper with the 22 rifle I had carried to shoot around the mule to see how she did ( She never paid it any attention).

I think that the forage on the place would have held up to leave the cows there this winter, but with gun season opening yesterday, and the evidence of poachers getting on the land, Scott decided to move the cows. When we got back to the trucks that evening, they were just about all inside the corral eating salt and minerals, with a few at the pond. So, we shut them in the corral, and rode a mile and half down the road to where we had had the dove shoot to make sure those fences were ok and all the gates were shut. We then drove the 104 Corriente cows and 9 calves a mile and a half down the dirt road, with a SSH, a TWH, a gaited mule! Not one bit of trouble at all, and that was good thing since we weren't mounted on cow horses and had no herd dogs!

They start calving the 1st of February, and he plans to move them back over there in January once we get tired of quail and rabbit hunting. We had already sold 16 solid colored ones to a CT member on here , and someone else wants 20 of the youngest, and is going to get them in November after they are vaccinated and vet checked for shipping out of state. So there will only be about 80 going back on that place instead of 120, 1/3rd less than this year. I think the forage will be enough for them next year. It mighty even get ahead of them if the rains are good and come at the right times.

I have a ranch in Coleman co TX. And I have decided to run corriente cattle out there because I don't get out there too often but have people who do go a lot more frequent than I do.
I'm going to buy solid colors, red or black. The main reason for corriente is that they take care of themselves (I never had to pull a corriente calf) and the utters are good.
I wanted to put a red or black angus bull on them but a fellow told me I should put a Brahman bull on them.
I've had good luck with angus on corriente before.
I would like opinions on this.
Char or Angus bull would do you good. In my area (NorCal), char cross calves fetch well at the sale barn.

@Brute 23 I was down there last weekend, the 9th and 10th. I took my SSH gelding and a gaited mare mule down to leave for the bird hunting season. Saturday we took them and Scott's. dad's TWH , along with 3 of the bird dogs, over to the place. Wanted to see how the mule did with dogs on a lease, as well as get an idea of how many coveys we had. ( We gonna have a LOT of birds this season). The Weds and Thurs before, they had gotten 6 " of rain in those 2 days, and everything had greened back up. But, along the back fence, which borders timber co land that a hunting club had leased, we found a nice, new, double ladder stand someone had put on Scott's land. We took it with us when we went back to the trucks for lunch, then went back with a bag of felt washers to put out in the poacher's tire tracks, and fixed the fence he had been climbing over. Shot a half dozen fox squirrels for supper with the 22 rifle I had carried to shoot around the mule to see how she did ( She never paid it any attention).

I think that the forage on the place would have held up to leave the cows there this winter, but with gun season opening yesterday, and the evidence of poachers getting on the land, Scott decided to move the cows. When we got back to the trucks that evening, they were just about all inside the corral eating salt and minerals, with a few at the pond. So, we shut them in the corral, and rode a mile and half down the road to where we had had the dove shoot to make sure those fences were ok and all the gates were shut. We then drove the 104 Corriente cows and 9 calves a mile and a half down the dirt road, with a SSH, a TWH, a gaited mule! Not one bit of trouble at all, and that was good thing since we weren't mounted on cow horses and had no herd dogs!

They start calving the 1st of February, and he plans to move them back over there in January once we get tired of quail and rabbit hunting. We had already sold 16 solid colored ones to a CT member on here , and someone else wants 20 of the youngest, and is going to get them in November after they are vaccinated and vet checked for shipping out of state. So there will only be about 80 going back on that place instead of 120, 1/3rd less than this year. I think the forage will be enough for them next year. It mighty even get ahead of them if the rains are good and come at the right times.
I love how so many assholes that lease for deer think their lease includes every piece of property they border as well.

Deer and turkey hunting has ruined this part of the world. Used to be able to roam anywhere to hunt small game, now everyone thinks that big buck is going to make them rich and famous, so they apply rules to everyone else that they won't follow when it comes to property. Personally, if you're respectful, you can go anywhere I own or rent, but if you run everyone off yours, don't let me catch you stepping on mine. Live by the sword, die by the sword in other words.

I love how so many assholes that lease for deer think their lease includes every piece of property they border as well.

Deer and turkey hunting has ruined this part of the world. Used to be able to roam anywhere to hunt small game, now everyone thinks that big buck is going to make them rich and famous, so they apply rules to everyone else that they won't follow when it comes to property. Personally, if you're respectful, you can go anywhere I own or rent, but if you run everyone off yours, don't let me catch you stepping on mine. Live by the sword, die by the sword in other words.
You're nuts for letting anyone hunt your land today, too many lawyers behind every tree.

You're nuts for letting anyone hunt your land today, too many lawyers behind every tree.
I had two choices: trespassers or hunt clubs. I chose hunt clubs and have really enjoyed that much more than the destruction and issues of trespassers. Don't think that a trespasser cannot sue you, too. Just be sure that your farm policy accepts commercial hunting and that the club gets annual liability coverage.

Latest posts