we had a farm accident..

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
against my better judgment Ill post up ..gage is 10 years old.
gage and I were loading cows and I was backing the trlr into the chute and gage was waving me back. I was watching him in the mirror and he suddenly disappeared. I stopped and waited for him to come out the other side and he pops back out frantically waving his arm. I could see in his face it wasn't good so I hurried up and pulled forward and ran back there...its a 24 ft trlr plus the truck . so he comes walking out from behind as im sprinting to the back ...holding his arm crying saying ''you broke my arm!!'' I could tell it was broke just by how it looked altho it wasn't crooked or anything I just knew..weve done that many times ..I felt like a real pos....still cant figure out how it happened...didn't sleep for 2 nights....almost had a breakdown over losing my wife and almost killing my kid I was on overload.
thank god it was only as bad as it is....5 weeks in fiberglass and 2 weeks in a splint..poor kid....I broke his f'ing arm....we are protectors..aint sposed to work that way....

Key word there is accident.
You'll be a little more careful, and he'll watch out for himself a little better..
Sure don't make you a pos, and that boy looks tougher than a mescun steak. :nod:

well I sure felt like one

he was over it before I was..it crushed me....we were backing that trlr into the barn last night and he ran right to the back without asking to watch for me....I wasn't gonna ask him but off he went

he is some kinda tough!!..getting thru the mom thing and this too...hes my world now

im not really sure
..it did get smashed longways between the headcatch and the back of the trlr..as if he was trying to stop it and his elbow backed into the headcatch..barely broke the little bone but broke the radius bone pretty obviously altho not seriously..

Hang in there Gary. Even though you feel it was your fault Gage knows it was simply an accident. You both are some kind of tough in my opinion with everything you have been through. Prayers for the both of you.

Not to be to cavalier or uncaring about it, but I'd say the young man learned a lesson...

Here's how you know you're not a POS: You care.

I'd like to share a couple of stories from my travels that illustrates a POS parent:
-I was in the ER and we got a patient that needed a femur x-ray. It was a 6-10 month old, so the kid wasn't really that mobile yet. The femur is the hardest bone in the body to break b/c of it's size and strength. The child comes in and it's broken into two segments. The explanation on how it happened was that the child had their leg under the couch and rolled getting their leg stuck and breaking it.

-I was working in a facility with an Urgent Care. Parents bring in a kid under a year with a possible broken arm. The father stated he was on the bed and rolled onto his child hurting their arm. The child had multiple bruises with multiple stages of healing.

Those are POS parents. Keep your chin up.

Gary, shyt happens, that's why they're called accidents. You are NOT a POS. I think both of you have learned from it. He's a tough kid.

I'm sorry for both of you that this happened, losing Angel was bad enough.

Glad it wasn't worse.

HDRider":a9qfnyui said:
Not to be to cavalier or uncaring about it, but I'd say the young man learned a lesson...

oh yeah man I got ya....when we put the trlr away yesterday he was a bit different about his approach..not scared but I could see him doing it differently..course I might have been too

thanks ya'll..im coming to realize it wasn't anyones fault..i know im no pos..but I was feeling pretty bad about myself letting it happen. I sometimes think he just knows what hes doing and forget hes only 10. im always extra careful with the trucks and trls and esp the tractors..

we ride quads..hard. in the woods..on a motocross track..i have broken a lot of bones..alot..a lot...and I expected he would too..just not by my doing

Bestoutwest":1m5nfbfi said:
Here's how you know you're not a POS: You care.

+1, but those that know you best could already tell you that. We try to protect our kids so much and as those parents who are not POS, are harder on ourselves when things don't work out with our kids.

It's a tough one. Sorry about the accident, glad it wasn't worse.

Sorry but it could have been worse.
I know a man that ran over and killed his wife.
My oldest was backing the boat into storage and almost crushed my youngest boy. I've preached to them to stand back and not to get behind or in front anything, but it doesnt always sink in.

You should feel very fortunate it's was only a broken arm.

Sorry about the accident.Glad you posted so you can read the responses. You are a great Dad to Gage, the two of you are walking through some difficult times Together-it will strengthen your bond. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"Prayers for you guys.

Thanks for posting your tale because it'll make me be a little more careful after realizing (again and again) how easily things can suddenly go sideways. It's pretty clear that your son is lucky to have a dad like you. My son broke his arm at LegoLand last year and and had a similar cast. His arm started to get itchy in the cast. There are aerosol anti-itch sprays with long nozzles the help but what I found with my son was that his arm muscle shrunk from lack of use after several days which loosened the cast and the itching went away.

reeler":1zfonuas said:
Sorry about the accident.Glad you posted so you can read the responses. You are a great Dad to Gage, the two of you are walking through some difficult times Together-it will strengthen your bond. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"Prayers for you guys.

His post just might save one of us from the experience he's going through. I'll keep it in my mind for a few days.

Sorry to hear this. Though bad, just remember it could have been much worse and I think you both gained some experience and its better this than losing a finger or a limb.

If I might offer a suggestion, what I read was you have done this same thing many times with the same trailer. If this is correct and you will continue to do this you might find it helpful to take a 4x4 and place it right where the trailer tires need to be when you pull to your pen. You can drill two holes in the timber and drive 2 pieces of rebar into the ground to hold the timber in place. This way all you need do is back up till your tires hit the 4x4. This would be much safer and makes it a lot easier if you are working alone.

You didn't do anything wrong even if it feels like you did. Accidents happen and the alternative is to shelter him and that's worse than a broken arm in the long run. He learned how to keep himself safe.
I do know how you feel, though. One time I asked my boy to help me bring up a yearling bull that was acting strange and that thing went on the snort and flipped him up over a fence and then did it to me when I got there to teach him a lesson about hurting my kids.
About two weeks ago I asked both kids to push a set of cows out of the corrals while I went in front setting gates. One of the cows went boiling over both of them and taught them how to climb.
Both times made me feel like I was a horrible dad but I couldn't have predicted either one and in hindsight I think they're better off to still have to go help dad.

DB, I don't think there's a parent alive that hasn't accidentally hurt one of their kids at some point(or not been quick enough to avert an accident). I was powerwashing the deck and had it really going good; turned toward my young son with the sprayer in my hand (stupid brain was thinking "garden hose" not "power washer" is all I can figure out). Sliced the top of his foot pretty good. Yeah it makes you feel bad. And they get to rib you about it for all time, I will warn you of that! ;)

Latest posts