We had a calf born today

Help Support CattleToday:

TammyLS

Reaction score
We had a calf born today so we separated the bull from the cows, but he jumped the gate to get back in the pasture. I noticed on someone else s topic that they used the buddy system which sounds good, but the problem I have is moving the bull with his 2 steer buddies I have to put them in with 2 of our horses. The horses don't take any crap form the bull like our donkeys do. So my question is: is it ok to have the bull and steers in with the horses or my only other choices would be leave him with the newborn and moma cow or I have another pasture with 3 heifers and another bull should I try putting him over there. Please help.
Thanks

Our bull is in with our cows and calves 24/7. That said there is a herd of cows and 100 acres, not in a small paddock. If the steers are weaned and don't drink from their mothers anymore they go back in with the Bull, cows and calves as well.

But should I pull the bull out of pasture with new mom and calf his buddies are the steers and are grown

They already answered you, you can move him if you want but there's no need at this point. Why is it you think you need to move him? Maybe there's something I'm not understanding.

What is your reason for pulling the bull because one cow had a calf ? How many cows are running with the bull ? Are all the cows bred ? Are you planning on a controlled breeding season ?

All the others are breed and due pretty soon. My neighbours tells me he knows all about cattle and that the bull needs to be moved I'm new at this but I have notices as time for a the neighbours doesn't know as much as he says so I was trying to get info from someone else but if ok then I will leave him be thanks for info

You did not say where you are located, the only time you would pull the bull was if you wanted a controlled calving season, if you do not understand a controlled calving season say so, if you think the bull will harm the calf, that will not happen.

As they said you need to know when you want calves.

Here the bull is with the herd 24/7 bit we do not get snow.

If you get snow and the next calf will be born when the weather is very detrimental and might kill new borns then you pull the bull and only put him back in when you time the right time for the next calf.

It is just my opinion but the bull is happier with play mates, so I would give him some steers as friends.

I pulled bull calves (about four months old) from my calving cows one year because they persisted in riding the newborn calves. No injuries, but I didn't like seeing it and it was easier to just get the boys out and put them elsewhere.
I've no idea how adult bulls behave around calves, but there may be something in the fear of harm. Also, sometimes (rarely?) cows show signs of heat just before or after calving.

Just before calving we pull the bulls mainly so tht if I'm out there looking for a cow calving in the dark I don;t surprise them and don;t want to take a chance on them trying to protect "their girls". Also tyightens tha calving deaons because they;re only with the cows for 45 days or so. Then after weaning and preg check they go back out with the cows till calving starts.

We shoot for the cows to calf from march to the end of may. We usually turn the bulls in around may 15th. I haven't seen any reason to worry. I think you would be fine.

When I need to take my bull out from the cows, I put him in with my 2 horses. At times there have also been feeder calves in with the horses when I put the bull in with them. I am trying to get to where I have all my cows calving pretty close together so thats the reason I'm taking him out. When I bought him it wasn't when I wanted to start breeding so he spent some time in with 3 steers and the horses....and got a little education while he was in there....lol I don't know about this bull but the ones in the past have kept stray dogs (and I'm sure coyotes) away from the cows/calves, so thats one reason I don't mind him being in with them after they calve. jmo

If you're worried about the calf getting hurt, pull the other cows, cause they're more likely to hurt him/her than the bull. I've never had a bull hurt a calf, but a cow will corner a calf and beat 'em to death. Bro. found a calf dead and had it posted, and practically every bone in its body was broken. Dang females.

I had a Jenny mule steal my newborn donkeys... She did it 3 times. Ran her around on the 4 wheeler until her tongue dragged the ground... then the baby donkey got out during a thunderstorm and fell in the creek and drowned in 2 feet of water... go figure.
What's that have to do with this...
Nuttin.
they'll be fine together.