We all have been lying about our jobs

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
After some careful consideration into this we all have been lying about being cattle farmers or ranchers. let me explain. we are jack of all trades and masters of nothing. the things that happen to a rancher on a daily basis consist of . fixing fences,tractor and equipment repair, coral work,nutritionist, part vets,grass managers, bushogging,, water managers, herd cullers, cattle ropers, herdsman,welders,builders. we just thought we were cattle farmers. Mcgyver has got nothing on a cattle farmer. I keep asking myself the question of when will I get one day of going to the farm and checking on the herd and nothing new poping up that needs repair. everything I have is less that 1 year old and it needs constant upkeep and supervision. I have concluded that my day of everthing going smooth will happen when I am 6 feet deep pushing up daisies. To any one wanting to get into the cattle business, its fun but its something new everyday. I am sure I have left out about a dozen things but these are just the things that happened today.

plbcattle":346go41p said:
After some careful consideration into this we all have been lying about being cattle farmers or ranchers. let me explain. we are jack of all trades and masters of nothing. the things that happen to a rancher on a daily basis consist of . fixing fences,tractor and equipment repair, coral work,nutritionist, part vets,grass managers, bushogging,, water managers, herd cullers, cattle ropers, herdsman,welders,builders. we just thought we were cattle farmers. Mcgyver has got nothing on a cattle farmer. I keep asking myself the question of when will I get one day of going to the farm and checking on the herd and nothing new poping up that needs repair. everything I have is less that 1 year old and it needs constant upkeep and supervision. I have concluded that my day of everthing going smooth will happen when I am 6 feet deep pushing up daisies. To any one wanting to get into the cattle business, its fun but its something new everyday. I am sure I have left out about a dozen things but these are just the things that happened today.

Smooth days don't happen especially if your dealing with hay equipment.

Campground Cattle":21ehb78u said:
[
Smooth days don't happen especially if your dealing with hay equipment.
I have a preacher friend who sold his combine. He said preachers just don't need to own equipment.

Besides hitting your thumb with a hammer, a hay baler is one of the few things that can make a preacher cuss.

Craig-TX

My wife asked if she could help me bale hay, I told her, NO, you don't have the vocabulary.

Brad B":2qay8286 said:
My wife asked if she could help me bale hay, I told her, NO, you don't have the vocabulary.

Could you imagine what a baler would cost that didn't break down for a season. Just one season a chain,pickup reel,roller bearing didn't break or a hydrualic hose blowing up. The one I really love is when one roll of hay twine runs out and the second one hangs and breaks,threading the new twine is like trying to build a pocket watch in the hayfield.

Just imagine what that baler could sale for.

I should be a good haybaler!!! After 26 years on the fire dept. I know all the words. In fact, I'm embarressed to admit, I can and have made full sentences of 'em.

My personal favorite episode of the year was when about 1/2 mile of twine got wrapped somehow around all the sprockets and all in the chain on the baler. We had to take all the sprockets off left side of the baler and pick all the twine out, a little at a time. We were "broke down" for a little over an hour I'm glad I wasn't baling that day. Got to blame it on my brother.

Latest posts