WD40 & Pink Eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
I have never tried this, but a buddy of mine said he sprays WD40 in his cattle's eyes to get rid of pink eye. He swears it works.
Anyone ever tried this before?

[edit] Formulation
WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients
The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide
It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[2]

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

WD-40 company

The fact that it is flammable and poisonous makes me think that you should not spray it in a cows eye. Try it on yours first and let us know how it goes. ;-)

I was working inside a large HVAC unit one time in some pretty cramped quarters when one of my friends accidentally (or so he claims) shot me in the mouth with WD-40. Don't know if it cured any life-threatening diseases but it took a whole day to get the taste out of my mouth and sinuses.

cfpinz":17ccoyr1 said:
I was working inside a large HVAC unit one time in some pretty cramped quarters when one of my friends accidentally (or so he claims) shot me in the mouth with WD-40. Don't know if it cured any life-threatening diseases but it took a whole day to get the taste out of my mouth and sinuses.
Maybe he was trying to slick up your ratchet jaw.

When WD 40 first came out it was widely used as a Walleye attractant. Sprayed on your bait or lure would increase the chances of catching fish. I never once used it, I have not heard of anyone using it for a long time.

As far as cattle with pink eye, I would go get some pink eye medicine and use that. :cowboy:

mnmtranching":3ju2gzok said:
When WD 40 first came out it was widely used as a Walleye attractant. Sprayed on your bait or lure would increase the chances of catching fish. I never once used it, I have not heard of anyone using it for a long time.

As far as cattle with pink eye, I would go get some pink eye medicine and use that. :cowboy:

Don't go and kill this debate with common sense! :lol:

mnmtranching":2fyxyrpa said:

mnm...spray it on a plastic worm and it works pretty well on bass as well. As for pinkeye...never tried it but do still use the old method of penicillin under the eyelid followed by glueing a patch over the eye.

Go ahead and spray a little WD40 in your own eyes. If you can still see your cattle afterwards, spray some in their eyes.

Just got back to read the responses...
No, I wouldnt use WD 40 on my cattle, although that friend of mine said it works. I would think it could damage the eye ball. I have found using Geomycin (yes, it is sold for injection on piglets) works really well. Its the same stuff they used to sell only with a purple dye mixed with it. Just squirt a shot or two in the eye ball a couple of times, and it gets rid of the infection.

TexasBred":2q5u506c said:
mnmtranching":2q5u506c said:

mnm...spray it on a plastic worm and it works pretty well on bass as well. As for pinkeye...never tried it but do still use the old method of penicillin under the eyelid followed by glueing a patch over the eye.

thats what we do (the penicillin and an eye patch)

Where's "turn that cow lose" ??? His LA200 cure all would actually work for this instance. Another 2 cc of penn in the eyelid would help too.

As cheap as penn and LA200 are, why would anyone take a chance with pink eye spreading from cow to cow during fly season? WD40 might work but I will never know - I promise you that.

Go ahead and spray a little WD40 in your own eyes. If you can still see your cattle afterwards, spray some in their eyes.
Ha! I LOVE the comment - Spray it in your own eyes first!!!!! YES. DO THAT.

Latest posts