Wayward calf question?

Help Support CattleToday:

insurman

Reaction score
So last Thursday a random 3-4 month old bull calf is on our place with our cattle. The places on both sides of us and across the road do not have cattle and it is not the persons behind us. I talked with the guy 2 places down that has some and it is not his. The calf is not tagged and not sure who's it is. The wife left a couple of messages at a couple of places that it might be but no call backs. Even drove around to all of the places that are close to see if there was a momma cow whaling by the fence.

Had a pretty bad thunderstorm that night and can only assume he got out somewhere and was on a tear, saw our cattle and jumped thru the fence. I tried to catch his ass yesterday to pen him but my roping skills are less than to be desired. Our cattle are on our front pasture by the road now so if someone sees him and I sure they will call..

So the question is, if no one calls and we made attempts to call others....do we go property to property, which those properties do not have anyone living on them so not sure who to contact?

Perhaps you could post on Craigslist that you found a calf, but don't identify it in the ad (not even the sex), just give your general location and see who responds. Might put something in your local paper and some signs at the feed stores nearby.

I have no clue about the laws in your area but I'd document everything you did to find the owner and if nobody turns up who can positively identify the little dude then at some point maybe you can claim him.

There are folks on here with more experience than I have so maybe someone else will post better guidance.

Had a heifer get out on my place last year and she stayed. I asked all the neighbors and nobody claimed her.

Ended up having to sell her after 7 months as she was long bred to god knows what.
If the rightful owner does show up I'll give him his check minus hauling and upkeep.

Thanks for the feedback...thought about Craigslist, but the closest city listing is an hour away. Good point on keeping an account on what we did. Just talked to the wife and she even went across the road to a house (that does not have cattle) to see if they might know. I know the feedstore guy well, i will reach out to him.

The people who shop Craigslist live all over not just in the cities. Post under Farm + Garden and the post will be viewed.

Good luck, if we ever lose a calf I hope whomever finds it is as conscientious as you are.

Latest posts