• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ways to treat new calves with scours

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Does anyone have a cheaper way to treat scours in newborn calves. The way I do it costs about $15, which is of course worth it, but if there's a cheaper way i'm all ears. What I do is first force a bottle of kaopectayte, which is just to stop the fluid loss, works great. Second I give the calf two regular bayer aspirin, which helps with the fever, and makes the calf feel better which sometimes means makes the calf feel like it wants to live. A feeling of well bieng in a sick animal can go a long way. The actual treatment, is giving the calf teramyacin. My feed store carries the big pills that call for one every twelve hours per hundred weight. I give one per twelve hours for four days no matter the size of the newborn, and it seems to work well everytime. Now, as I said, I think it's well worth the money to save the calf, that's a no brainer, but i'm always out for learning new ways, especially cheaper ones. Anybody got anything?

randiliana

Reaction score
I just use electrolytes and scour pills and sometimes a shot of Nuflor or Trivetrin if the vet advises it. Depending on how down and out the calf is I may give the entire dose of electrolytes at once, or I may split it up into 3-4 smaller feedings. The smaller more frequent feedings to the weaker calves. We have use Sustain III pills, and they work very well. Calfspan is another good one too.

turklilley

Reaction score
Spectra is a scours medicine for pigs, but it works better on calves than anything made for calves. I use it, plus electrolytes. I use about 1/4 of a 8oz bottle.

Latest posts